> [project] ALPHA!!! ModPE scriptpack ALPHA!!!, the ScriptPack formerly known as MicroPE
Martin 'drau...
post Aug 30 2006, 02:15 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: .script developer
Member No.: 31

I finally got around to working on micrope again.

After a while, I realized micrope had changed while i was working. therefore; i now bring you:

ModPE - the modularized live windows CD!

2006-09-01: 0.0.2alpha2 out. get it here.
Just a bugfix release.

2006-09-01: 0.0.2alpha out. get it here.
Changes here.

get it here! (unpack into \Winbuilderdir\Projects).

changes:
- New, fancy, (probably way too much) �ber-31337 screen-driven interface (you'll see what i mean).
- works in winbuilder (well duh!)
- tweaks, nips and tucks here and there
- ramdrive support added (thanks to Ove)
- floppy support added (untested)
- (rather large) parts of the network start scripts based on code by Bart Lagerweij. With permission ofcourse wink.gif

TODO (in no particular order):
- get explorer working
- more programs (bring your wishes)
- better UPXing
- USB input devices
- ++

known bugs:
- something funky with network and autostarting...
- peloader won't work

BTW:
I STILL use an already built bartpe as the source.

knock yourself out testing biggrin.gif it's late early now, and i need some sleep.

g'night all!

//martin
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Digg this topic Add to my del.icio.us 5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
TheHive
post Aug 30 2006, 03:25 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5

crazy.gif coffee.gif Testing! cheers.gif

+Quote Post
TheHive
post Aug 30 2006, 03:33 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Uncompressed modpe_0.0.1alpha.7z contents to WinBuilder\Projects\.

Contents should be compressed in zip format. More Universal.

Then Running Winbuilder I go to the Icon that says Open. I select the new WinBuilder\Projects\modpe_0.0.1alpha
folder and the Project is listed.

+Quote Post
TheHive
post Aug 30 2006, 05:06 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

First Impressions.

Compression part is understood.

Location of your Windows install share.
I dont really get where I should point it to. Is this where we point to our BartPE Created contents just before creating an ISO or Burning. Or do we point to our XP installl CD. I pointed it to the BartPE folder that I use to use to test with Batcher. No plugins.

Configure Hardware
Good layout.
The RAM drive letter part may need a drop down box to choose drive letters instead of making a mistake when trying to type a Drive letter to use.

Configure network

It contents look too cramped. It needs more slack. The right side appear like all the text is a long explanation. After reading I noticed each option on the left has the explanation on the right and it start to make clearer since.
IPB Image

In the location where it says
Location of NIC Drivers
I dont know what drivers you talking about. I left it alone.
I see your have Quemu Nic drivers. Where can I get them. I dont see anything named nic or anything on the Qemu folder or if I download Qemu. I would also like to test it in Vmware.
I left it like this for the building.
IPB Image

I like, that we get the option to hide or not the console Window.

At the end dont forget to set the Paths tab under WinBuilder
ISO name could be ModPE.ISO or something similar.

Tried to build and I get this error.
IPB Image

It freezes here. And I have to shut WinBuilder down and then Launch it again.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  log.htm ( 52.23k ) Number of downloads: 22

+Quote Post
Martin 'drau...
post Aug 30 2006, 09:13 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31

QUOTE(TheHive @ Aug 30 2006, 05:33 AM) *

Contents should be compressed in zip format. More Universal.

I respectfully disagree. 7z is the more universal geek format. If your archiving program does not understand 7z, get a better one. This is non-negotiable from my part.

QUOTE(TheHive @ Aug 30 2006, 07:06 AM) *

Location of your Windows install share.
I dont really get where I should point it to. Is this where we point to our BartPE Created contents just before creating an ISO or Burning. Or do we point to our XP installl CD. I pointed it to the BartPE folder that I use to use to test with Batcher. No plugins.

Did you notice the bit where it says "Usually the same folder you used to build BartPE from" ? RTFI people. Read the f...ine instructions.

Configure Hardware
Good layout.
The RAM drive letter part may need a drop down box to choose drive letters instead of making a mistake when trying to type a Drive letter to use.

good point.

Configure network
It contents look too cramped. It needs more slack. The right side appear like all the text is a long explanation. After reading I noticed each option on the left has the explanation on the right and it start to make clearer since.
IPB Image

In the location where it says
Location of NIC Drivers
I dont know what drivers you talking about. I left it alone.
I see your have Quemu Nic drivers. Where can I get them. I dont see anything named nic or anything on the Qemu folder or if I download Qemu. I would also like to test it in Vmware.
I left it like this for the building.
IPB Image

I like, that we get the option to hide or not the console Window.

you may be right that some more air is needed. but that's a lot of info. And i'm big on UI consistency. will se what i can do.

and NIC = network interface card. The drivers for your network card - no more, no less.

At the end dont forget to set the Paths tab under WinBuilder
ISO name could be ModPE.ISO or something similar.
Tried to build and I get this error.
IPB Image

It freezes here. And I have to shut WinBuilder down and then Launch it again.

now that is an odd bug.. i can see from your log that you begin to download TXTSETUP.SIF. But it does not complete. Can you verify thth you have a directury structure off of basedir:
\i386
---\system32
---\system32\drivers
---\system32\config?

Also, almost no files are being copied. YOU NEED TO USE BARTPE AS YOUR SOURCE. FFS!! you are using an XP CD. This will not work. At all. yet.

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Aug 30 2006, 09:56 AM
Post #6

Finder

Group: Advanced user
Member No.: 2

Italy

QUOTE(Martin 'draugen' Andersen)

I respectfully disagree. 7z is the more universal geek format. If your archiving program does not understand 7z, get a better one. This is non-negotiable from my part.

I (not so respectfully wink.gif) agree to your disagreement! thumbup.gif

Just my two cents:
1) 7zip efficiency is not even comparable to "normal" zip
http://warp.povusers.org/ArchiverComparison/
IPB Image
more:
http://molhanec.net/old/archivers.php

Here:
http://www.maximumcompression.com/data/summary_sf.php
7-zip is rated #16 while (say) Winzip 10.0 is #45 and PKZIP 250 is #118 (but the deflate64 algorithm for ZIP is not supported in standard XP decompression)

2) 7zip is Free/Opensource, the only drawback is that it uses a LOT of memory, but on todays systems this is not a problem anymore, but depending on original source files, a smaller size of compressed data of say 30 to 50% is a BIG +

There are even tightier compression programs, but while very efficient, they are too slow for actual use, see this:
http://kgbarchiver.sourceforge.net/

jaclaz

+Quote Post
Yorn
post Aug 30 2006, 01:22 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25

One of the things that ipavlov is working on with 7zip is to decrease the resources needed. 7zip, for example, always takes 128 meg of RAM as soon as it's run. Also, even set between background/foreground and changing the priority on the process doesn't seem to do much.

However, I will say this, there has been a lot of talk on the forums of the massive decreases in time of version 4.43 alphas. This is something he started in 4.42 and has brought over to 4.43. Now 4.32 still provides some of the smallest files, but 4.43 alpha is better, so it's a toss-up.

Anyway, most of this is a moot point, I think that 7zip is a great tool for geeks, but I would say that if we are providing an "end product" for someone in a compressed format, it'd be better to use ZIP since it's accepted. Since most of the people who are using WinBuilder are coming here for some of the smallest packages they can, I think using 7zip is fine.

Also, there are methods to make 7zip install packages. I need to write up documentation on my InstallerMaker, so you guys can automatically make these tools/packages.

+Quote Post
Nuno Brito
post Aug 30 2006, 02:13 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1

Portugal

Nice project!! thumbsup.gif

I like the way how you've splited every script incorporating a global range of things that can be done and tweaked.

Also noticed again that the script interface was sluggish when drawing all components (initially I hadn't predicted so many components added on a single script), so I've improved the drawing of the interface and now it shouldn't flicker anymore - no matter the number of added components. (will be available on a beta 5)

Haven't tested it yet since I'm still testing other scripts and comparing results, but it seems a good alpha version, I'm looking forward to see the next developments on your project. hyper.gif

--------------------------------------------------

7zip is an excellent option, I think the compression rates on standard zip files are good enough for the moment since all exe's are previously packed by UPX wich levels the differences of zip and 7zip.

Perhaps soon I'll also adopt their format for releasing new builds.. smile.gif

--------------------
Use the search tool to find all posts made by other members and help you solve any doubts quickly by yourself.
Whenever possible - place your questions including as many details as you can to help us help you - Thanks!

nuno? --> pics

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Aug 30 2006, 03:40 PM
Post #9

Finder

Member No.: 2

Italy

Well,
I guess that what we geeks do, does appear to be geekish..... thumbup.gif

...but if we geeks don't start "spreading the word" about 7zip to non-geeks, the entire community will be still using a

Katz publicly released technical documentation on the ZIP file format, along with the first version of his PKZIP archiver, in January 1989.

almost 20 years old algorithm (20 years in mathematics/computing is comparable to fighting stealth planes with bow/arrows) wink.gif

QUOTE(Yorn)

Also, there are methods to make 7zip install packages. I need to write up documentation on my InstallerMaker, so you guys can automatically make these tools/packages.

Just for the record:
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=39048

jaclaz

+Quote Post
Yorn
post Aug 30 2006, 04:36 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25

Yeah, I used that as my starting point, but I now use a 7z.sfx that is so silent and quiet that it doesn't even bring up a DOS prompt window or anything whatsoever. Some guy modified one a while back to support all sorts of extra commands.

+Quote Post
« Next Oldest · Projects · Next Newest »

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Projects synchronization.
Overwriting during download!?
0 phox 224 14th August 2007 - 09:03 AM
Last post by: phox
No new Topic has attachmentsProjectInfo.ini
small correction
15 Nuno Brito 540 21st July 2007 - 04:49 PM
Last post by: Nuno Brito
No New Posts Project Compatibility
VistaPE, NativeEx, Reactos & Co
1 psc 556 19th June 2007 - 10:33 AM
No New Posts Project Downloads
Enhancement suggestion.
3 psc 781 12th June 2007 - 12:09 PM
Last post by: psc
No New Posts Projects forum added..
0 Nuno Brito 575 16th December 2006 - 02:28 AM

Display Mode: Switch to: Standard · Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th October 2007 - 07:25 AM

MKPortal ©2003-2006 mkportal.it