Hello dear guest!

Boot Land is a community driven pc software site established since 2006 and focused on recovery/backup boot disks, research of Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/7 install/deployment/lease/antivirus/antispam tools, customizing Microsoft Windows PE administration systems and even learning how to recover computer data from disaster situations!

How about joining our boot disk community? So do it. Life's short!

- You get free access to our newsletter with all the interesting buzz about boot disks
  - We share publicity revenue with everyone who wishes to participate at the forums
  - Publicity is never, never, never displayed to members (along with many other cool things)
http://boot-land.net/register

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topic
 Is it possible to boot Isolinux from grub4dos ?
post Jun 9 2010, 08:01 PM
Post #1
weifa

Group: Members

Thank(s): 0

Hi,

How can I chainload isolinux from grub4dos?
My idea is to use Sardu and his already nicely made menu from whithin mine custom menu.lst.
something like configfile /isolinux.cfg ?
Or shall I go the other way around, booting from isolinux and chainload grub.exe ?

thanks

+Quote Post
post Jun 9 2010, 08:05 PM
Post #2
Sha0
Frequent Member   ***
Group: Advanced user

Thank(s): 95

Canada

You might enjoy this[1] link from October 12th, 2007.

From the file README_GRUB4DOS.txt, included with GRUB4DOS:
CODE
Update 10:      isolinux.bin (version 3.73) can be chainloaded as with build
                2009-02-09.

chainloader (cd)/isolinux.bin

isolinux.bin must reside in a real or virtual cdrom.

The filename is in all upper-case, except for its extension.

[1] Isolinux in Grub4Dos
+Quote Post
post Jun 9 2010, 11:44 PM
Post #3
weifa

Actually, I've just read the above link before I posted here.
So if I understood correctly (sry if i'm asking something stupid),
CODE
    isolinux.bin must reside in a real or virtual cdrom.

Becauseof the above, I'll have to do map /MyCustomMade.iso/isolinux.bin (0xFF) and from there isolinux.cfg pointing to some files at hd0,0
I read the README_GRUB4DOS.txt before (many times actually) and it says :
CODE
    Like normal disk emulations, the CDROM emulation also (mainly) works with
real-mode OSes. After a protected-mode OS kernel (such as
WinNT/2K/XP/VISTA/LINUX) gains control, the OS would have no ability to access
the virtual CDROM through BIOS int13.

So I understand why this is not working:
CODE
title Sardu
map /1/Live/sardu.iso (0xff)
map --hook
rootnoverify (0xff)
chainloader () +1

It boots fine and some dos programs are working but for exemple Avira and Kaspersky rescue cds could not find the the boot device i.e the virtual cd.
Avira - no scanner found. Kaspersky - no media found.
If i put livecd in the root of usb Kasersky finds it but then miss image.squashfs .. etc.
My aim is to extract sardu.iso at root of usb still keeping grub4dos loader and from there transfer control to sardu's *.cfg
Sardu did a great job putting all together, so i was thinking there is no point reinventing the wheel.

Thank you for replying
+Quote Post
post Jun 10 2010, 12:02 AM
Post #4
Sha0
Frequent Member   ***

Canada

QUOTE (weifa @ Jun 9 2010, 07:44 PM) *
Actually, I've just read the above link before I posted here.

Cool.
So if I understood correctly...I'll have to do map /MyCustomMade.iso/isolinux.bin (0xFF)

Nope. /MyCustomMade.iso is what you wish to map. isolinux.bin is a file you can use with chainloader.
and from there isolinux.cfg pointing to some files at hd0,0

isolinux.cfg will not have anything pointing at your hard disk, since it is intended to contain file references to files within the CD (or .ISO, in your case). isolinux.cfg could contain a chain.c32 entry, for chaining to the HDD.
I read the README_GRUB4DOS.txt before (many times actually)...
So I understand why this is not working:
CODE
title Sardu
map /1/Live/sardu.iso (0xff)
map --hook
rootnoverify (0xff)
chainloader () +1

Try:
CODE
title Sardu ISOLINUX
  map /1/Live/sardu.iso (hd32)
  map --hook
  root (hd32)
  chainloader /isolinux.bin
title Sardu Native
  map /1/Live/sardu.iso (hd32)
  map --hook
  root (hd32)
  chainloader (hd32)

I have no idea what Sardu is, so I can't offer any guarantees. I've also no idea about Avira nor Kaspersky. Sorry.
...Sardu did a great job putting all together, so i was thinking there is no point reinventing the wheel...

Good luck.
1 user(s) said "Thank you!" to Sha0 for this fantastic post:
weifa
+Quote Post
post Jun 10 2010, 12:20 AM
Post #5
weifa

Thank you Shao,
I'll give it a try
+Quote Post
post Jun 10 2010, 01:04 AM
Post #6
weifa

Its not working ...

If I do like you said:
QUOTE (Sha0 @ Jun 10 2010, 01:02 AM) *
.... isolinux.cfg could contain a chain.c32 entry, for chaining to the HDD.

Having a linux distro on hd0,0 which needs additional files than kernel,initrd, would it boot that way? i.e if I chain hdd from MyCustom.iso thats contains only isolinux.bin and isolinux.cfg ?
Or i need somthing like your driver to do this smile.gif

+Quote Post
post Jun 10 2010, 01:15 AM
Post #7
Sha0
Frequent Member   ***

Canada

QUOTE (weifa @ Jun 9 2010, 09:04 PM) *
Its not working ...

If I do like you said:

Having a linux distro on hd0,0 which needs additional files than kernel,initrd, would it boot that way? i.e if I chain hdd from MyCustom.iso thats contains only isolinux.bin and isolinux.cfg ?
Or i need somthing like your driver to do this smile.gif

If you mean that you have a Linux installation on your HDD, you can boot it at least these ways:
  • Include the kernel and initrd in your .ISO and include the needed command-line parameters in ISOLINUX.CFG
  • If there is a boot-loader installed on the HDD, you can chain.c32 to it, then that boot-loader can be responsible for loading kernel and initrd from the HDD, and passing the needed command-line

Could you possibly clarify your goal(s)? Something like: BIOS -> CD boot -> GRUB4DOS -> map an .ISO -> ISOLINUX -> menu -> etc.
+Quote Post
post Jun 10 2010, 01:57 AM
Post #8
weifa

QUOTE (Sha0 @ Jun 10 2010, 01:15 AM) *
Could you possibly clarify your goal(s)? Something like: BIOS -> CD boot -> GRUB4DOS -> map an .ISO -> ISOLINUX -> menu -> etc.

Ok lets say I have a small .iso - inside ->isolinux.bin and isolinux.cfg. Its called test.iso then
BIOS -> USB boot -> GRUB4DOS -> menu.lst ->
CODE
title test
  map --mem /test.iso (hd32)
  map --hook
  root (hd32)
  chainloader /isolinux.bin

-> isolinux.cfg -> linux distro on hd0,0 ( in my case extarcted Kaspersky iso)

The whole point is if I instal isolinux boot loader i wont have problems with the specific linux distro but I want to keep grub4dos and temporally simulate like it was a isolinux loader.
Is it possible ?

+Quote Post
post Jun 10 2010, 02:13 AM
Post #9
Sha0
Frequent Member   ***

Canada

I appreciate the provided visualizations. smile.gif

So your test.iso has the singular purpose of spoofing a booting CD to ISOLINUX and no other files, right? As in, you are taking just the ISOLINUX-relevant portion of the Kaspersky .ISO and re-mastering that as test.iso? Then you are hoping to leave the Kaspersky's isolinux.cfg file unmodified and hoping to have its file references interpreted as being on some hard disk partition, to which you've extracted the rest of the Kaspersky .ISO?

With Syslinux versions < 4, you are [roughly] limited to accessing files only from the Syslinux filesystem. For ISOLINUX, this would be the ISO9660 filesystem on the CD (or test.iso, the emulated CD). So no, your test.iso cannot be tricked into using the files on the HDD partition.

All of the above is regardless of GRUB4DOS, if I understand you correctly. If I understand you correctly, you would be almost as happy if you had a real CD with ISOLINUX on it capable of booting the Kaspersky contents from an HDD partition. Then you are going a step further and thinking if only you could have that, could you emulate that CD using GRUB4DOS. Is that accurate?

Later on, H. Peter Anvin et al. will have a stable release of Syslinux which includes filesystem drivers, so that files outside of the Syslinux booted-from filesystem will be accessible.

In the meanwhile, why not install a Syslinux boot-loader on the HDD partition with Kaspersky extracted, then rename isolinux.cfg to extlinux.cfg and simply boot it? (I don't know what Kaspersky is, but am saying this under the guess that it is a Linux distribution.)
+Quote Post
post Jun 10 2010, 12:40 PM
Post #10
weifa

QUOTE (Sha0 @ Jun 10 2010, 03:13 AM) *
So your test.iso has the singular purpose of spoofing a booting CD to ISOLINUX and no other files, right? As in, you are taking just the ISOLINUX-relevant portion of the Kaspersky .ISO and re-mastering that as test.iso? Then you are hoping to leave the Kaspersky's isolinux.cfg file unmodified and hoping to have its file references interpreted as being on some hard disk partition, to which you've extracted the rest of the Kaspersky .ISO?
EXACTLY smile.gif
With Syslinux versions < 4, you are [roughly] limited to accessing files only from the Syslinux filesystem. For ISOLINUX, this would be the ISO9660 filesystem on the CD (or test.iso, the emulated CD). So no, your test.iso cannot be tricked into using the files on the HDD partition.
I start to see the light ... (meaning starting to understand things)
All of the above is regardless of GRUB4DOS, if I understand you correctly. If I understand you correctly, you would be almost as happy if you had a real CD with ISOLINUX on it capable of booting the Kaspersky contents from an HDD partition. Then you are going a step further and thinking if only you could have that, could you emulate that CD using GRUB4DOS. Is that accurate?
Absolutly

Thank you for your explanation Shao

regards

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic ()

Collapse

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Boot with SYSLINUX
9 mrt_doulaty 493 Today, 07:04 AM
Last post by: mrt_doulaty
No New Posts grub4dos multiboot (dir+files) (link updated) MU
My 8GB configuration files and dir directories for downloading
6 KAOZ23 913 Today, 06:25 AM
Last post by: KAOZ23
No New Posts Boot-loader for INT 0x13 mapping non-contiguous files
5 supaJ 170 Yesterday, 05:50 PM
Last post by: supaJ
No New Posts Boot Grud4dos from SARDU
3 Wile.E.Warrigal 181 Yesterday, 10:40 AM
Last post by: Wile.E.Warrigal
No New Posts Booting iso from 2nd USB partition
2 flok3r 215 14th June 2010 - 05:05 PM
Last post by: flok3r

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum