Hello dear guest!

Boot Land is a community driven pc software site established since 2006 and focused on recovery/backup boot disks, research of Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/7 install/deployment/lease/antivirus/antispam tools, customizing Microsoft Windows PE administration systems and even learning how to recover computer data from disaster situations!

How about joining our boot disk community? So do it. Life's short!

- You get free access to our newsletter with all the interesting buzz about boot disks
  - We share publicity revenue with everyone who wishes to participate at the forums
  - Publicity is never, never, never displayed to members (along with many other cool things)
http://boot-land.net/register

Reply to this topic
 Boot with SYSLINUX
post Jun 9 2010, 05:46 AM
Post #1
mrt_doulaty

Group: Members

Thank(s): 0

Iran

I've a 100 MB FAT32 partition which is the first primary (and active) partition of my hard disk.
I've installed SYSLINUX to that drive.
I've another primary partition which I installed Windows XP to it.
I want to have a boot menu, so I used chain.c32 and menu.c32
My syslinux.conf file is as below:

CODE
LABEL WinXP
COM32 chain.c32
APPEND hd0 2 ntldr=ntldr

But this does not work, failing with "Failed to load the boot file" error.

What is wrong?

+Quote Post
post Jun 9 2010, 12:17 PM
Post #2
Sha0
Frequent Member   ***
Group: Advanced user

Thank(s): 95

Canada

When you give the ntldr= argument, chain.c32 looks for the specified file on the Syslinux filesystem. So it's looking for ntldr on your FAT32 filesystem (your first partition). If you don't wish to copy NTLDR there, simply chain the second partition's boot sector and forget about trying to chain NTLDR at all. It's the same with any other file specifiers. Remember that Syslinux would need filesystem drivers to be able to use files from other partitions than the one it's booted from. This is the case for Syslinux 4.xx (though there's no NTFS driver).
+Quote Post
post Jun 9 2010, 03:37 PM
Post #3
mrt_doulaty

Iran

QUOTE (Sha0 @ Jun 9 2010, 12:17 PM) *
When you give the ntldr= argument, chain.c32 looks for the specified file on the Syslinux filesystem. So it's looking for ntldr on your FAT32 filesystem (your first partition). If you don't wish to copy NTLDR there, simply chain the second partition's boot sector and forget about trying to chain NTLDR at all. It's the same with any other file specifiers. Remember that Syslinux would need filesystem drivers to be able to use files from other partitions than the one it's booted from. This is the case for Syslinux 4.xx (though there's no NTFS driver).

Copying ntldr to that partition did not solve the problem either. How would ntldr detect that it should continue boot process from next primary partition? (Which is NTFS)
Rather than specifying ntldr option, just passing
CODE
COM32 chain.c32
APPEND hd0 2

This does not work either.

As I mentioned, my second primary partition is NTFS, so how can load its driver so that syslinux can detect that partition?

Thanks for your help!
+Quote Post
post Jun 9 2010, 03:55 PM
Post #4
Sha0
Frequent Member   ***

Canada

QUOTE (mrt_doulaty @ Jun 9 2010, 10:37 AM) *
Copying ntldr to that partition did not solve the problem either.

Please report the error message that you see, with this new test.
How would ntldr detect that it should continue boot process from next primary partition? (Which is NTFS)

You did specify hd0 2, and there is a standard way of passing this information to boot-sector code or NTLDR, the same method that "standard" MBRs use. chain.c32 uses this standard method.
Rather than specifying ntldr option, just passing
CODE
COM32 chain.c32
APPEND hd0 2

This does not work either.

As I mentioned, my second primary partition is NTFS, so how can load its driver so that syslinux can detect that partition?...

I was saying that a future Syslinux version will be able to access files on filesystems other than the originally booted filesystem (your FAT32 filesystem with SYSLINUX installed on it, in this particular case). This is in regards to the future, and does not apply to your situation.

You also might consider reporting which Syslinux version you installed from, took menu.c32 and chain.c32 from.
+Quote Post
post Jun 9 2010, 07:27 PM
Post #5
mrt_doulaty

Iran

QUOTE (Sha0 @ Jun 9 2010, 03:55 PM) *

You did specify hd0 2, and there is a standard way of passing this information to boot-sector code or NTLDR, the same method that "standard" MBRs use. chain.c32 uses this standard method.

I was saying that a future Syslinux version will be able to access files on filesystems other than the originally booted filesystem (your FAT32 filesystem with SYSLINUX installed on it, in this particular case). This is in regards to the future, and does not apply to your situation.

You also might consider reporting which Syslinux version you installed from, took menu.c32 and chain.c32 from.

I'm using the latest stable version (3.86).
I'll check your solution and inform you.
+Quote Post
post Jun 10 2010, 07:35 AM
Post #6
mrt_doulaty

Iran

About copying ntldr to FAT32 boot partition (where SYSLINUX installed):
COM32 chain.c32
APPEND hd0 1
Fails with this error:
"Chainboot failed!"

About this test:
COM32 chain.c32
APPEND hd0 2
Fails with this error:
"Chainboot failed!"

And as I mentioned earlier, I'm using the latest stable version (3.86), and I took chain.c32 from "syslinux-3.86\com32\modules" folder.
+Quote Post
post Jun 10 2010, 12:27 PM
Post #7
Sha0
Frequent Member   ***

Canada

QUOTE (mrt_doulaty @ Jun 10 2010, 03:35 AM) *
"Chainboot failed!"

Sorry to be redundant when you've already answered, but: Is the version of Syslinux that you installed on the FAT32 partition the same as chain.c32? One must match COMBOOT32 modules to the Syslinux version. Also: Could you please run meminfo.c32 and post the output? If you have a serial connection to the computer, you could log the output that way, instead of typing it all in here. A clear photo would work, too.
+Quote Post
post Jun 10 2010, 12:47 PM
Post #8
mrt_doulaty

Iran

QUOTE (Sha0 @ Jun 10 2010, 12:27 PM) *
Sorry to be redundant when you've already answered, but: Is the version of Syslinux that you installed on the FAT32 partition the same as chain.c32? One must match COMBOOT32 modules to the Syslinux version. Also: Could you please run meminfo.c32 and post the output? If you have a serial connection to the computer, you could log the output that way, instead of typing it all in here. A clear photo would work, too.

Yes, it is the same version, I've taken it from the same source code.
I'm running all these tests on a virtual machine.
Here is the screenshot:
http://www.mrt-web.com/public/meminfo.jpg
+Quote Post
post Jun 10 2010, 03:30 PM
Post #9
Icecube
Silver Member   ****

Thank(s): 146

Belgium

Does the following work?
CODE
LABEL Boot_MBR
COM32 chain.c32
APPEND hd0

It should boot the MBR again (and then should load the Syslinux installed on your first partition).

Can you also run:
CODE
LABEL disk_layout
COM32 disk.c32

And post the exact output?

--------------------
Use Parted Magic for handling all partitioning task. Download Parted Magic 4.10.
Parted Magic and grub4dos iso emulation

Ultimate Boot CD V5 forum for features and suggestions. Download Ultimate Boot CD v5.0 RC2 with grub4dos support.

The Syslinux Project: Stable releases: download link. Last test builds: download link.
ISO booting capable MEMDISK
+Quote Post
post Yesterday, 07:04 AM
Post #10
mrt_doulaty

Iran

Thanks all!

The problem is now solved, I've just update my VMWare WorkStation, and this simple boot chain is now working as desired...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic ()

Collapse

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Boot-loader for INT 0x13 mapping non-contiguous files
7 supaJ 213 Yesterday, 08:21 PM
Last post by: Sha0
No New Posts Pinned: Topic has attachmentsSyslinux module ifplop.c32: check if PLoP is already loaded
1 Icecube 103 15th June 2010 - 09:47 PM
Last post by: Icecube
No New Posts Boot Grud4dos from SARDU
3 Wile.E.Warrigal 185 15th June 2010 - 10:40 AM
Last post by: Wile.E.Warrigal
No New Posts Booting iso from 2nd USB partition
2 flok3r 223 14th June 2010 - 05:05 PM
Last post by: flok3r
No new Boot windows from extended partition
41 xpt 2,202 13th June 2010 - 10:58 AM
Last post by: karyonix

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum