Hello dear guest!

Boot Land is a community driven pc software site established since 2006 and focused on recovery/backup boot disks, research of Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/7 install/deployment/lease/antivirus/antispam tools, customizing Microsoft Windows PE administration systems and even learning how to recover computer data from disaster situations!

How about joining our boot disk community? So do it. Life's short!

- You get free access to our newsletter with all the interesting buzz about boot disks
  - We share publicity revenue with everyone who wishes to participate at the forums
  - Publicity is never, never, never displayed to members (along with many other cool things)
http://boot-land.net/register

Reply to this topic
 USB drive letter prob, explorer does not sync w/ disk management
post May 21 2010, 03:32 PM
Post #1
RaidenII

Group: Members

Thank(s): 0

United States

Hi all,

I've recently built a PE and it runs fine except for the USB flash drive part.

Each time when I insert a flash drive prior booting it works fine, but if I insert it after boot, it could be recognized by Windows and show up in the disk management with proper drive letter, but does not show up in My Computer. Refreshing my computer doesn't work either; the only way to show it is to kill explorer and restart it.

Are there any files of registry entries related to the auto-refresh function of my computer? Thanks.

+Quote Post
post May 21 2010, 07:36 PM
Post #2
Wonko the Sane
Gold Member   *****
Group: Advanced user

Thank(s): 162

Italy

See here:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=10169
(only seemingly unrelated wink.gif)

Basically, a PE only mounts whatever it finds when booting and a "special" program needs to be run when you insert a USB stick or HD in order to have it mounted with drive letters in explorer.

cheers.gif
Wonko

--------------------

Light Blue Ribbon Campaign for Freedom of Skin

But ... then, why?
+Quote Post
post May 21 2010, 11:17 PM
Post #3
RaidenII

United States

Maybe my case is a bit different from that... I mean, I could see and access it from either disk management or CMD, the only thing doesn't work is explorer. It is properly loaded/mounted I believe, the thing matters is why explorer doesn't catch that.
+Quote Post
post May 22 2010, 04:06 AM
Post #4
patsch
Silver Member   ****
Group: Advanced user

Thank(s): 60

Germany

it would be very helpfulf if you say what project you use exactly with what winbuilder version ... also a log file of your project is helpful

I remember that there was a similar problem in win7rescuepe ...
+Quote Post
post May 23 2010, 08:10 PM
Post #5
RaidenII

United States

I'm using a mod of Multi7PE.

I can post the whole winbuilder set with project files if needed.

Anyone knows how to upload an attachment?
+Quote Post
post May 30 2010, 03:43 PM
Post #6
Shirin Zaban
Frequent Member   ***
Group: Tutorial Writer

Thank(s): 363

Iran

==
QUOTE (RaidenII @ May 21 2010, 03:32 PM) *
Hi all,

I've recently built a PE and it runs fine except for the USB flash drive part.

Each time when I insert a flash drive prior booting it works fine, but if I insert it after boot, it could be recognized by Windows and show up in the disk management with proper drive letter, but does not show up in My Computer. Refreshing my computer doesn't work either; the only way to show it is to kill explorer and restart it.

Are there any files of registry entries related to the auto-refresh function of my computer? Thanks.

Hi RaidenII

I do not know that i have got problem correctly or not,any way if the problem is "windows can not
detect flash drive ",May be one of methods below can help you:
-----------------------------------------
Note that i suppose you are using Windows XP

Method_1:
=========
This problem may occur by incorrect keys in the registry.MicroSoft says soulution
below for that (Do at your own risk):

_Go to address below in registry an delete "UpperFilters" registry value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Then go to address below in registry an delete "LowerFilters" registry value:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Now restart computer.

This information are taken from link below:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925196#letmefixit

Method_2:
=========
Some times when you use several types of card readers, thumb drives or external hard
drives and even maped drives in network,you may have this problem ,Because when you
use several kinds of these drives together,windows gives a drive letter for each of
them and some times keeps this drive letters in memory.
For example suppose you had pluged in your card reader from Connection number 1 of
computer and windows shows that as drive X ,and also suppose that at the same time you
have pluged in your usb flash from Connection number 2 of computer and windows shows
that as drive Y.
Now if you remove both of them from computer then after a while plug your flash to
computer (but from connection 1 that you had card reader on it befor),Windows thinks
this connection is card reader and because it does not see any card reader so does not
show any thing!!!

for fixing that do as below:

_Right click on my computer,select Manage.The Computer Management window will be shown.

_Select "Disk Management" In left panel,you should see all of your connected physical
drives and their informations.
_If you can see your flash drive in right pannel,just by changing drive letter for your
flash,you can see your flash in my computer.

there are other topics that can cause the problem of not seeing flash in windows xp
but i shoud go now
hope will be some help

shirin zaban

--------------------
من به ایرانی بودن خود افتخار میکنم
+Quote Post
post Jun 16 2010, 12:15 PM
Post #7
chosen17

I am also having this problem with a modified Multi 7PE SE. I am booting from a hard drive, and while it boots fine, I cannot see my custom programs at all, nor can I see the drive in Explorer. The only programs that work are the ones that load from RAM. However, I can see the drive in Disk Management and Explore from there.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic ()

Collapse

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts usb imaging & back up
13 Technotika 524 19th June 2010 - 06:06 PM
Last post by: erwan.l
No New Posts USB BIOS 128GB size limit
6 karyonix 370 13th June 2010 - 04:09 PM
Last post by: steve6375
No New Posts USB Multiboot: XP Setup, Debian Setup, UBCD, Backtrack
4 nodiscc 1,065 12th June 2010 - 07:02 PM
Last post by: Wonko the Sane
No New Posts USB3.0 Flash-Drive performance
1 MedEvil 365 6th June 2010 - 04:48 PM
Last post by: Wonko the Sane
No New Posts Problem installing FiraDisk on xp-sp3
7 ccuappz 395 1st June 2010 - 05:52 AM
Last post by: ccuappz

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum