Hello dear guest!

Boot Land is a community driven pc software site established since 2006 and focused on recovery/backup boot disks, research of Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/7 install/deployment/lease/antivirus/antispam tools, customizing Microsoft Windows PE administration systems and even learning how to recover computer data from disaster situations!

How about joining our boot disk community? So do it. Life's short!

- You get free access to our newsletter with all the interesting buzz about boot disks
  - We share publicity revenue with everyone who wishes to participate at the forums
  - Publicity is never, never, never displayed to members (along with many other cool things)
http://boot-land.net/register

Reply to this topic
 Multiboot ISO - Grub on ext3, ISO on fat32
post May 15 2010, 10:34 PM
Post #1
czaroli

Group: Members

Thank(s): 0

Ireland

I'm looking for a solution where:
1) Pen Drive 32 GB
2) flash drive has two partitions (ext3 and fat32)
3) install a partition ext3 grub2 + burg
4) on the fat32 partition, copy ubuntu.iso, windows.iso, hirens.iso etc. ....

Why ext3 partition?
Because it is safe, no need to fear that by chance erase grub

In the grub menu, set to run ISO files permanently.

Does anyone know how to install grub on ext3 in order to run the ISO from other fat32 partcji?

+Quote Post
post May 16 2010, 08:28 AM
Post #2
Wonko the Sane
Gold Member   *****
Group: Advanced user

Thank(s): 162

Italy

QUOTE (czaroli @ May 16 2010, 12:34 AM) *
Why ext3 partition?
Because it is safe, no need to fear that by chance erase grub

Hmm. dubbio.gif
Care to expand on this? unsure.gif

cheers.gif
Wonko

--------------------

Light Blue Ribbon Campaign for Freedom of Skin

But ... then, why?
+Quote Post
post May 16 2010, 01:02 PM
Post #3
Sha0
Frequent Member   ***

Thank(s): 109

Canada

I'll bet "GRUB2" has a manual somewhere, including instructions for how to install it on a partition with an EXT3 filesystem.
+Quote Post
post May 16 2010, 05:37 PM
Post #4
czaroli

Ireland

why are all using GRUB4DOS? and a fat32 partition?

Below is a PenDrive (two partitions):
------------------------------------------------------
| Ext3 (grub) | fat32 for ISO |
------------------------------------------------------

Exe3 partition will not see Windows users (my son), and nothing will break or will not erase anything.

On the fat32 partitions, will be readme.txt
In the readme.txt will be written:

If you want the grub menu, run the installation windows xp ISO throw here called winxp.iso, etc....

+Quote Post
post May 16 2010, 05:57 PM
Post #5
Wonko the Sane
Gold Member   *****

Italy

QUOTE (czaroli @ May 16 2010, 06:37 PM) *
why are all using GRUB4DOS?

Most probably because it has been around for some more time, it is almost fully documented and has some nice features that - unless I am mistaken - do miss from grub2.

and a fat32 partition?

Mostly becuase people usually needs to access the files, and FAT32 is pretty much cross-platform.

Exe3 partition will not see Windows users (my son), and nothing will break or will not erase anything.

I don't see any advantage in this when compared to a hidden partition (and yes grub4dos can reside on a hidden partition), and seems to me like having a lot of drawbacks, as most windows systems won't by default be able to read a second partition.

A "safer", though rather complex setup is talked about here:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...ic=7138&hl=

Remember that unless a CD-rom like device is implemented on the stick (like U3 or some sticks that provide for two LUN's) the USB stick remains writable, and a number of tools may be able to access it, expecially the MBR , with a fair possibility of ruining it.

cheers.gif
Wonko

--------------------

But ... then, why?
+Quote Post
post May 28 2010, 04:16 PM
Post #6
Alloishus

United States

For the original request though, and not to hijack anything, but Grub doesn't care about file systems. Right?

I mean, grub loaded into MBR, then loaded from wherever, and then it is just a matter of telling it what partition either another loader or device can be found.

You just have to answer the question of how much you want grub to be involved (pass parameters, or chainload).

so..for device (hd0,0 is ext3), (hd0,1 would be fat32), etc for how many ever partitions.

I think what the op was looking for was that natively Windows will not see an ext3 partition (the grub partition on the boot device, but would see the isos I would guess), once the Windows system is booted. I am not sure what that would matter since he could just reformat it in Windows to begin with. Right? Sooo....uh, I guess I agree with the last post for the same reason (the point?), but different methodology.

+Quote Post
post May 28 2010, 05:11 PM
Post #7
Wonko the Sane
Gold Member   *****

Italy

QUOTE (Alloishus @ May 28 2010, 05:16 PM) *
For the original request though, and not to hijack anything, but Grub doesn't care about file systems. Right?

I mean, grub loaded into MBR, then loaded from wherever, and then it is just a matter of telling it what partition either another loader or device can be found.

Please define "wherever"....

QUOTE (Alloishus @ May 28 2010, 05:16 PM) *
I think what the op was looking for was that natively Windows will not see an ext3 partition (the grub partition on the boot device, but would see the isos I would guess), once the Windows system is booted. I am not sure what that would matter since he could just reformat it in Windows to begin with. Right? Sooo....uh, I guess I agree with the last post for the same reason (the point?), but different methodology.

I will repeat (just in case).
ANY "normal" NT based system will see most (please read as "ALL") USB sticks as "Removable" device, and will ONLY mount and let access one single partition on it.
This is INDEPENDENT from the filesystem the UNSEEN/UNMOUNTABLE under windows partition is formatted with.
Any "normal" DOS based system will NOT access a "hidden" partition, and will only access unhidden ones, and this also has NO relation with the filesystem the hidden partition is formatted with.
grub4dos can access ANY partition, even hidden ones, as long as they are formatted as FAT12, 16, 32, NTFS or EXT2/3.
So, using Ext3 is only a more complex than needed approach for resolving the posted problem.

cheers.gif
Wonko

--------------------

But ... then, why?
+Quote Post
post May 29 2010, 01:36 AM
Post #8
Alloishus

United States

yeah, I guess that was a dumb thing of me to say.

The original op didn't mention grub4dos. So, I was thinking more of grub, and grub non-native at that.

grub supports more file systems than grub4dos. Nonetheless, my statements were inaccurate anyhow.

By where ever, I was referring to a non-native grub boot. In that case, the boot sector isn't necessarily the MBR, and grub can call grub, so to speak. That can lead to lots of options if you are willing to use ext3 (or almost any linux filesystem).

Sorry for the confusion...you are clearly more accurate (and, of course, the response is appropriate).
+Quote Post
post May 29 2010, 09:48 AM
Post #9
Wonko the Sane
Gold Member   *****

Italy

QUOTE (Alloishus @ May 29 2010, 03:36 AM) *
yeah, I guess that was a dumb thing of me to say.
Sorry for the confusion...you are clearly more accurate (and, of course, the response is appropriate).

Naah, it wasn't dumb at all smile.gif, you perfectly caught the spirit of the OP thumbup.gif , as well as I tried to bring everyone back to "common sense advice" points #f1 and #f2:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9101
and quickly applied Occam's Razor. wink.gif
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor

Obviously everyone is perfectly free to use gujin on a EXt3 partition to load GRUB legacy to load NTLDR to load grub4dos to load grub2 to load grub4dos to load a .iso, but it sounds like a bit overkill.... happy22.gif

cheers.gif
Wonko

--------------------

But ... then, why?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic ()

Collapse

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts ISO mapped as C: or barking up wrong tree?
4 Technotika 129 Yesterday, 01:15 PM
Last post by: Technotika
No New Posts Grub4Dos and floppy image size
13 xpt 668 20th June 2010 - 05:06 PM
Last post by: xpt
No New Posts MultiBoot USB: Boot Multiple ISO images from USB
Utility to Boot from USB Multiple ISO image files
2 Duderino 1,631 18th June 2010 - 11:05 PM
Last post by: xpt
No New Posts grub4dos multiboot (dir+files) (link updated) MU
My 8GB configuration files and dir directories for downloading
6 KAOZ23 1,159 16th June 2010 - 06:25 AM
Last post by: KAOZ23
No new Pinned: grub4dos, .iso images and (hd32) or (0xFF) mapping
Post here ONLY reports of working setups!
62 was_jaclaz 167,068 14th June 2010 - 03:23 PM
Last post by: Chaos_Cubed

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline