Digg this topic Add to my del.icio.us Submit to SlashDot 16 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WinBuilder 071 - beta version, Topic for discussing the new beta
Rating 5 V
thunn
post Jun 16 2007, 01:19 AM
Post #61

Advanced Member

Group: .script developer
Member No.: 75

United States

(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif)
thanks for catching that bug!!
.(.....)
(X) (X) (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/raygun.gif)
....U
....~
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nuno Brito
post Jun 23 2007, 04:07 PM
Post #62

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1

Portugal

Beta 6 - special edition.. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/beta.gif)

Why a special edition? (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Because it is likely filled with new bugs and it is only recommended to people who like challenges.. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

(consider yourself warned..) (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/betasof.gif)

This beta contains a lot of changes since the last posted beta, most of them related to speed improvement and memory leak fixes.

It should run with same files and definitions as a direct replacement to the previous betas, but please try running a few projects and check both the qemu emulation and logs to see if it works ok.

Resumed log of changes:
- Removed an unneeded setting which always wrote a locked=true value on the [main] section
- Recoded interface, file search/filter and settings to load faster.
- Bugfixed error message when selecting to show log after running a project.

Tried to removed out most of the new possible issues, but surely some have passed. If this beta works good enough than it will be posted on the first topic.

Some things are still left to further improve - for example: when a user clicks on a very large script it will still load it to memory slowing the interface a bit (still need to look further on why this happens) and optimize the encode/decode functions which should also be done whenever some time is available to work it.

Hope you have fun and thank you for testing!! (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif)

Attached File  WinBuilder071_Beta6.zip ( 790.26k ) Number of downloads: 44

+Quote Post
booty#1
post Jun 23 2007, 04:47 PM
Post #63

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,830

Germany

QUOTE(Nuno Brito @ Jun 23 2007, 06:07 PM) *
Beta 6 - special edition.. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/beta.gif)

Ok, here are my first experiences with this beta:
  1. Directly after starting WinBuilder an Information Dialog saying "215" shows up (missing localization?).
  2. Building my adapted VistaPE version (based on 008) the memory usage is usually between 18MB and 20MB, once 40MB + executed programs of course. The built VistaPE version is OK on first impression - no preblem detected. Runs just like the one created by 071beta5.
  3. Attachment encoding hasn't changed (two temporary files, encoding takes ages)
  4. In edit mode on the interface builder page the edit mode closes directly after adding a control
  5. Selecting a script of 45MB without interface section - it takes about >15 seconds with 100% cpu of one core on my system (C2D E6600).
    The several first times I thought WinBuilder crashed and terminated it. I can see in FileMon that WinBuilder read the script in blocks of 128 bytes. This value is very small, if possible I would use a larger value, this should speed up the read process. Memory usage doesn't increase much on loading. After once reading the complete file it reads "randomly" from different offsets within the file and reads up to 10K. I checked the offsets and they are in the middle of the encoded file - is this an inteded behaviour?
  6. On enabling/disabling this script the script is loaded completly into ram (blocksize on reading 65k). The meory usage on loading the 45MB script is 120MB, before and after 14MB -> 106MB memory used for a 45 MB script.

Besides the enabling/disabling issue the the beta has really a small memory footprint. WinBuilder has made IMHO a large step towards better usability on low- and mid-end systems.

In conclusion: Nice work Nuno (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbup.gif)

booty#1

+Quote Post
Nuno Brito
post Jun 23 2007, 05:54 PM
Post #64

Advanced Member

Portugal

Thanks for the quick testing! (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif)

I'll try to reply following the topic order:

1. It was a control message to ensure that all scripts we're correctly counted before and after the code changes, no special relevance.

2. Will keep testing with bigger sized projects, this time I focused on the interface portion.

3. encoding is unchanged, but modified decode to make script loading on the main window faster, next step should be removing the two temporary files (if possible)

4. A bug to be solved.

5. Will repeat your described steps until it works better.

6. That part still uses default delphi tools, I still need to write some functions to also write on INI text files.

Glad to see that most of these bugs are related to the new "heavy" sized scripts support, will keep working on it.

(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

+Quote Post
smiley
post Jun 24 2007, 08:42 AM
Post #65

Advanced Member

Member No.: 149

Greece

(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbup.gif)
I just tested decompression . It is very fast (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif)

However I found a new bug in winbuilder.
I have attached in a script a 30Mb file. Hile editing its interface, even resizing a control took 3secs(in a good computer). While doing this,I had process explorer open and saw that while doing this winbuilder open and closed the script 4 times (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/confused1.gif) .

Another problem that I found was that winbuilder has still a serious handle leak. I saved this file with process explorer and shows that winbuilder forgets open all the subfolders of its projects. The attached file shoes all the open handles that winbuilder has. The handles of the folders are in the middle of the file
Attached File  WinBuilder.exe.txt ( 9.48k ) Number of downloads: 12

PS: While attaching/expanding files to/from scripts, winbuilder freezes. Can you make this procedure multithreading?

+Quote Post
Nuno Brito
post Jun 24 2007, 02:15 PM
Post #66

Advanced Member

Portugal

Smiley, thanks for finding this open handles bug - I thought they had already been all solved.

I've optimized the functions to read ini files, but I need to code a completely different approach to correctly write them.

At the moment the optimized INI function will only read one at a time, next step should be using this method to retrieve each key inside the section and this way avoid open file/close file just to read a single value.

Funny enough that even using this non-optimized method, it will still be much faster that traditional INI methods..

Please try this new binary and repeat the open handles test to see if it was solved as expected.

--------------------------------------------------------------
booty#1, the bug that closed edit mode when inserting new objects was also corrected.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Download Center is now based on IE - this will of course mean that Windows based machines need to have IE installed, but I will also likely leave the old external download method as option for the cases where IE is not available (some nlite customized installations, Win95, ReactOS and wine for example)

In exchange we inherit support to proxy connections from IE itself which should solve the problems with connecting to the download servers and avoid firewall warnings while downloading using non-recognized ports. Should be compatible with all Vista UAC restrictions and XP built in firewall. (only tested on XP) - as long IE works, wb should also get online. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/yahoo.gif)

Also removed the old ping method to test if a server is available and replaced it with a test to check if the updates.ini is correctly downloaded or not.

---------------------------------------------------------------

This should hopefully become the base for the next beta and stable version if projects can be downloaded and run without noticeable bugs.

Attached File  WinBuilder071_beta6a.zip ( 806.01k ) Number of downloads: 29

(IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

This post has been edited by Nuno Brito: Jun 24 2007, 02:25 PM

+Quote Post
booty#1
post Jun 24 2007, 03:51 PM
Post #67

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,830

Germany

QUOTE(Nuno Brito)
3. encoding is unchanged, but modified decode to make script loading on the main window faster, next step should be removing the two temporary files (if possible)
4. A bug to be solved.
5. Will repeat your described steps until it works better.
6. That part still uses default delphi tools, I still need to write some functions to also write on INI text files.

Hi Nuno.

3. -> Removing the second temporary file will be hard with the current compression algorithm but the first can be done (as I have showed). My posted source code isn't well commented, if you have questions regarding it, just contact me.
4. -> In Beta6a this bug is solved from my observations
5. -> (large script without interface) Well I would at least modify the script editor to always insert an Interface section at the beginning into the script file
6. -> (enabling/disabling scripts) From my point of view it would be the easiest way to put those frequently changing entries into an separate settings file (is enabled and interface values). Values in the settings file "override" those in the script, the script files could remain static. From my point of view it would be the "easiest" (less coding complexity) solution and it would be even backward compatible with old WinBuilder version if you do not publish the settings files.
Additionally this which would make it much more easier to distinguish between an old and an updated script file - but we already had that discussion in another thread.

I found one new minor bug, regarding a newly added FileBox item with a default value. This default value sometime disappears if you switch to another script and the back to the edited script. But that is really a marginal bug.

booty#1

+Quote Post
MichaelZ
post Jun 24 2007, 03:56 PM
Post #68

Advanced Member

Group: Advanced user
Member No.: 4,049

Germany

QUOTE(Nuno Brito @ Jun 24 2007, 04:15 PM) *
This should hopefully become the base for the next beta and stable version if projects can be downloaded and run without noticeable bugs.

Hi Nuno,

WB 071 Beta 6 gave me at start (and I think after downloading files) a dialog with some 'magic' number. But now Beta6a has some serious problem on my computer. Instead of displaying the magic number it gives the error message
'' is not a valid integer value.

After klickin OK nothing happens anymore (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/confused1.gif)

Many Greetings
MichaelZ

+Quote Post
jaclaz
post Jun 24 2007, 06:49 PM
Post #69

Finder

Group: Advanced user
Member No.: 2

Italy

QUOTE(Nuno Brito)
Download Center is now based on IE - this will of course mean that Windows based machines need to have IE installed, but I will also likely leave the old external download method as option for the cases where IE is not available (some nlite customized installations, Win95, ReactOS and wine for example)

In exchange we inherit support to proxy connections from IE itself which should solve the problems with connecting to the download servers and avoid firewall warnings while downloading using non-recognized ports. Should be compatible with all Vista UAC restrictions and XP built in firewall. (only tested on XP) - as long IE works, wb should also get online.

PERSONAL opinion (and rant):

I don't care what we inherit. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

This, in my view, equates to admitting that IE has some use, besides occupying large amounts of HD space, which I thought was the exact opposite of the (unspoken of) basic assumption that started the Winbuilder project, i.e. that IE is just a badly written, bloated browser, unneededly intertwined by perverts programmers and marketing strategies into an otherwise good core, that can ANYTIME be removed and substituted by BETTER browsers, like Opera or Firefox.

What will be next, instead of a .html log, a MS XML:
http://ktn.blogsome.com/2007/03/26/ooxml-m...rietary-format/
that can only be e-mailed through Outlook Express? (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Using IE should be an (unneeded) option, not the default.

jaclaz

+Quote Post
psc
post Jun 24 2007, 07:00 PM
Post #70

Guru

Member No.: 3

Germany

QUOTE(jaclaz @ Jun 24 2007, 08:49 PM) *
PERSONAL opinion (and rant):

I don't care what we inherit. (IMG:../forums/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I do not really want to tell that I rant, but I was rather astonished when I saw 'Download Center is now based on IE'

I'm using Firefox since (???) and I do not know whether the IE based download center will bring some new issues.

Let me observe the download mechanism next days, and I can tell more.

Peter

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsWinBuilder 073 - beta discussion
beta 1
9 Nuno Brito 126 Today, 07:25 AM
Last post by: booty#1