Hello dear guest!

Why not join our boot disk community? So do it. Life's short!

- You get free access to our newsletter with all the interesting buzz about boot disks
  - We share publicity revenue with everyone who wishes to participate at the forums
  - Publicity is never, never, never displayed to members (along with many other cool things)
http://boot-land.net/register

30 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 

Posted on: Sep 9 2009, 01:42 PM

Silver Member

Group: Advanced user
Member No.: 9,829

QUOTE (Elena @ Sep 9 2009, 10:55 AM) *
I have tryed your solution "Format-it-&-Forget-it", I create a second partition.
Actually I have problems to boot my USB-Stick on Hewlett-Packard PC's and Laptop's.
Why? I can't found a solution I have tried the solution from "jaclaz" the zero-out technique.
Without success, did somebody have a Idea which solution I have to try for HP-Computers?
Thank you in advance for a idea.
Namaste
Elena

Hi, Elena.
In your case the HP BIOS could be the "special" culprit.
In order to boot from HP machines the trick should be to "nope" your UFD BootSector with an HexEditor as following:
if the (1st) partition is formatted in FAT32 file-system from offset 0x7EE6 (Decimal=32486) to offset 0x7EE9 (Decimal=32489) set the existing values as 90 (4 bytes);
if it is formatted in NTFS file-system set as 90 the existing values from offset 0x7ED9 (Decimal=32473) to offset 0x7EDC (Decimal=32476) - 4 bytes.
Please, see here too
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=66515
http://nstrom.googlepages.com/n3110.html
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installing_G...inkPad_R51-1830
Hoping it helps. smile.gif
  Forum: Boot from USB / Boot anywhere · Post Preview: #77757 · Replies: 86 · Views: 15,457

Posted on: Sep 7 2009, 06:11 PM

Silver Member

@Zoso

Let me make a remark: I think you have to decide a way to follow, and then to perform that way without waverings.
Your spent time will be well-spent if you experience something/anything/everything. wink.gif
And surely you will experience some things, most of all not theoretical. cool.gif
My suggested way is working, but we cannot know if it will work also for you if you do not perform it.
Full XP on USB/UFD Logical Drive was a my idea of more than 1 year ago (before that, Full XP was exclusively installed on the 1st primary partition of USB devices) and it is useful if you want your Windows on a logical partition and/or if you do not want to format and however prepare your just purchased UFD every time: you can just restore a RAW image backup of your drive without any further action on your new UFD.
As far as I remember (since I no longer use that) it needs an imaging of the whole USB Flash Drive (in raw mode) and then it is less versatile rather than a single restorable system partition that you can place almost everywhere on your (multi-) partitioned UFD (1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th partition).
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=62682
Furthermore it needs a "special" install CD-ROM (following NGINE method, otherwise XP will refuse to install itself on a USB device/Logical drive) and with the encryption the things become "a bit" more complicated...
So, since creating a 2nd partition on your UFD in order to increase its bootability and - in my experience - even its compatibility with TrueCrypt is however a my finding I think I can state fairly a my preference about a way compared to another one. smile.gif
Please, note that either ways implicate at least 2 partitions and then the same high-compatibility at booting.

Also, I repeat that USBoot is a great "simplifying" tool, but (I always prefer the manual way and) if I well remember then at that time it did not work for me with TrueCrypt combined (a related thread must be on 911CD forums).

So, please - as already suggested in this topic - clear your drive (deleting all existing partitions) and clear its MBR and then create 2 partitions on your USB drive: the 1st one in FAT16 file-system (in order to further improve its bootability/compatibility) of maximum size 2047MB and the 2nd one in FAT32 file-system (say 5 GB, for further compatibility about the possible 8GB barrier http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/bios/size_GB8.htm) with MMC under XP.
Perform a XP fresh install on your SATA HD and then copy its content to a folder and then please follow my above linked tutorial (that's less difficult as it appears) and let know your results.

At any rate your time will be well spent (imnsho).

cheers.gif
  Forum: Windows 2K/XP/2003 · Post Preview: #77532 · Replies: 15 · Views: 7,919

BSOD 7B
Posted on: Sep 6 2009, 08:45 AM

Silver Member

I would check if-&-which my scripts (of the past happy.gif ) for VistaPE are working for LiveXP... and then to adapt for my preferences the (so many ones) existing (and interesting for me).
With a bit of time I would like to create some new scripts for LiveXP. cool.gif
Thank you (all) so very much! cheers.gif
  Forum: LiveXP · Post Preview: #77357 · Replies: 5 · Views: 356

BSOD 7B
Posted on: Sep 5 2009, 11:00 PM

Silver Member

QUOTE (dera @ Sep 5 2009, 11:16 PM) *
Did you used the CreateISO.script
with these settings?

anyway the name of the .iso is:
LiveXP_ISO.ISO

Many thanks for your reply: now it boots (and works) great! thumbsup.gif
About LiveXP, the first feeling is very impressive: I already like it! wub.gif
Furthermore, no "Recycle Bin.BIN" behaviour occurs (as it is almost normal under VistaPE/Win7PE) and I just wanted/looked-for this kind of PE environment. cool.gif
  Forum: LiveXP · Post Preview: #77323 · Replies: 5 · Views: 356

BSOD 7B
Posted on: Sep 5 2009, 09:02 PM

Silver Member

I've just tried to build the Recommended download on a dedicated NTFS partition and WinBuilder 078: all seemed working until a BSOD 0x0000007B (0xF78BA528, 0xC0000034) "... a problem due to newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers".
SATA drivers script selected or unselected.
USB Storage script selected or unselected, but the same result.
Log without any error and booting that proceeds with the regular loading until the logo/background and then the bsod.
XP SP3 running on the host machine and used as source (not nLite-d) and all known (by me) kindness applied, booting from my UFD and grub4dos with the following entry

title LiveXP
root (hd0,1)
map (hd0,1)/boot/LiveXP.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)

Also if placed in the UFD root then the bsod occurs the same.
Many thanks in advance for any suggestion.
  Forum: LiveXP · Post Preview: #77320 · Replies: 5 · Views: 356

Win7PE with Winbuilder 74 & 76
Posted on: Sep 5 2009, 08:31 PM

Silver Member

QUOTE (dera @ Sep 5 2009, 09:12 PM) *
CODE
CDBOOT: Cannot boot from CD - Code: 5

you can experience this error
if in the 'Main Configuration' - \Projects\win7pe\config.script
the "Boot Manager: Standard" option selected
(but the "Grub4Dos (recomended)" works good)

that is because
some correction:
cdob made a typo
in \win7pe\Finalize\4-iso.script
not the [CompatibleCD] section is incorrect
but
in the [NormalCD] section
should remove the switch : '-boot-load-size 4'
or to change to '-boot-load-size 8'

I had just experienced from myself that pointing about the boot manager choice: however many thanks for you appreciated reply, I will look into the described script for the related correction. thumbsup.gif
  Forum: Win7PE · Post Preview: #77318 · Replies: 886 · Views: 83,770

Posted on: Sep 5 2009, 08:08 PM

Silver Member

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Sep 5 2009, 06:46 PM) *
If the working one is an entry mapping to a floppy, like the one you posted on the map (hd32) (0xFF) thread:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...=5041&st=28

Yes, it is just that (as the following on my UFD)

title Windows 7 PE
root (hd0,1)
map (hd0,1)/boot/Win7PE.iso (fd0)
map --hook
chainloader (fd0)/BOOTMGR
rootnoverify (fd0)

and in this thread I can confirm that it works. wink.gif

it is very likely that what you have in your hands is NOT a .iso image, but rather a superfloppy image.

Is it possible? huh.gif
I've just built the recommended complete download without almost any modification except the Standard boot loader, and then at the end of the whole process "mkisofs" just creates the related ISO: how can it become a superfloppy image? blink.gif

Now a consideration of "common sense", do you think it is "appropriate" to post this:

In a thread titled:

bolded italic formatting added for your convenience.

?

unsure.gif

jaclaz, take it easy. smile.gif
Really it was just a copy/paste "typo" because I had some similar testing entries in my "menu.lst", and also the following one works

title Windows 7 PE
root (hd0,1)
map (hd0,1)/boot/Win7PE.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)/BOOTMGR

cheers.gif

Just for the record: if built with grub4dos as boot manager in Main Configuration, then also the following entry works

title Windows 7 PE
root (hd0,1)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)

Forum: Win7PE · Post Preview: #77316 · Replies: 886 · Views: 83,770

Pinned: grub4dos, .iso images and (hd32) or (0xFF) mapping
Posted on: Sep 5 2009, 03:07 PM

Silver Member

Windows 7 PE (with "grub4dos" boot manager in Main Configuration)

title Windows 7 PE
root (hd0,1)
map --hook

title Windows 7 PE
root (hd0,1)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)

and (although offtopic here, but just for the record)

title Windows 7 PE
root (hd0,0)
map (hd0,0)/boot/Win7PE.iso (fd0)
map --hook
chainloader (fd0)/BOOTMGR
rootnoverify (fd0)

Windows 7 PE (with "Standard" boot manager in Main Configuration)

title Windows 7 PE
root (hd0,1)
map --hook

and also the above offtopic (working) entry.

Editing due to copy/paste "typo" and to the related offtopic entry.
  Forum: Grub4dos · Post Preview: #77297 · Replies: 28 · Views: 60,978

Posted on: Sep 5 2009, 03:00 PM

Silver Member

QUOTE (online @ Sep 5 2009, 02:15 PM) *
an issue just occurs at booting
CODE

Just re-started from scratch and it continues to show the same error at boot mounting directly "Win7PE.iso" under VirtualBox, but now the ISO regularly boots from UFD through "grub4dos" boot loader under real machine. cheers.gif
  Forum: Win7PE · Post Preview: #77295 · Replies: 886 · Views: 83,770

Posted on: Sep 5 2009, 12:15 PM

Silver Member

After almost a couple of years far from PE builts rolleyes.gif now I have been just interested by Win7PE environments. cool.gif
I've tried this way and the built is ended without any error (WinBuilder 078), but then an issue just occurs at booting
CODE

Please note that it occurs either under VirtualBox and running from my UFD with grub4dos trying to load the resulting Win7PE ISO.
I've not noticed any pointing about which WAIK is to use, so I've used (that's installed) Windows 936330AIK (for Vista) and then also Windows 7 AIK, with the same result.
Followed this tutorial http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8270 too, with the same result.
Is that error (and its solution) known about the topic?
Which version of WAIK is to use?
Are there some working reports of the ISO loaded through grub4dos?
Many thanks for your efforts. cheers.gif
  Forum: Win7PE · Post Preview: #77284 · Replies: 886 · Views: 83,770

Posted on: Sep 5 2009, 11:24 AM

Silver Member

@Zoso

Assuming that there are not unknown incompatibilities between TrueCrypt Boot Loader and your machine, I actually would suggest to you to perform this different way http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...amp;#entry62682, since the simple double partitioning of your drive could be enough, rather than a logical drive that in my opinion is a bit less versatile.
So I would install grub4dos as Boot Loader and would try to boot your system encrypted partition loading the "tc.iso" just created: this way is nicely working for me even from "odd" BIOSes.
Probably the above linked tutorial is clear enough, otherwise feel free to ask about any doubt.
Using a USB Hard Disk rather than a USB Flash Drive then the double partitioning does not need any Filter Driver (nor Lexar tool) and you can create the 2nd partition on your drive under XP Management Console (always working nice for me).
I think USBoot is a great "simplifying" tool, but I always prefer the manual way that always worked for me: so in order to reduce any possible further issue, please try to perform the linked tutorial just as it is (except the installation of a filter driver, if you use a USB HDD) possibly clearing your existing MBR before to create a fresh one.
If it will work then you can think to "translate" that working installation on your USB Flash Drive too, even with the imaging (in RAW mode) of your already encrypted system partition.
Please note that plugging a USB drive through a USB HUB could introduce a lot of issues related to the topic, however SATA controllers/drives are not an issue AFAIK (in IDE mode, so disabling AHCI).
Lexar BootIt utility is (very) useful in order to flip the removable bit of your UFD (if "compatible") and then to physically transform it in a Fixed Drive under Windows, please note it works in a random way (about your specific UFD): please read here too http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...amp;#entry63162.
Anyway you can find it here http://www.pendriveapps.com/downloads/lexar_usb_format.zip (Direct Download).

QUOTE (Zoso @ Sep 4 2009, 08:18 PM) *
thanks for making and posting this comprehensive guide.

You're welcome.

Full XP SP3, TrueCrypt-ed, Enhanced Write Filter (EWF) enabled, running from UFD 2nd Active Partition

Forum: Windows 2K/XP/2003 · Post Preview: #77279 · Replies: 15 · Views: 7,919

Recycle Bin.BIN issue
Posted on: Aug 29 2009, 05:01 PM

Silver Member

On a machine with some HDs and only FAT32 partitions after using a VistaPE built (about 1,5 years old) then a folder named "Recycle Bin.BIN" is created on every existing drive.
This folder is ("obviously", seen its name) hidden and with the windows bin icon, furthermore with a double-click then its name in address bar results as "$RECYCLE.BIN" and so I've just created a batch file in order to delete all of them (once VistaPE is unloaded). rolleyes.gif

Does someone know the why of this (normal?) behaviour?
Is there a (API?) way in order to avoid this folders creation? unsure.gif

Any thought appreciated. cheers.gif
  Forum: VistaPE · Post Preview: #76416 · Replies: 0 · Views: 138

Adding DummyDisk to ERD Commander ISO & to XP Recovery Console
Posted on: Aug 21 2009, 06:59 PM

Silver Member

Many thanks to oriensol for his great script and so for a couple of entries in the best place smiling9.gif of "txtsetup.sif"! clapping.gif
Many thanks to Anton Bassov http://www.codeproject.com/KB/system/sovie...ct_hooking.aspx for his great hardware-id-independent Filter Driver. cool.gif http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=62682
Many thanks to Dietmar for using a filter driver the first time http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?sho...ost&p=91223, and to jaclaz for finding http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?s=&...st&p=123446 dummydisk. cheers.gif

Adding "dummydisk.sys" filter driver to ERD Commander ISO
  • Open "erd50.iso" with UltraISO and extract "setupreg.hiv"
  • Load "setupreg.hiv" (naming it as "Embed") and Import the following Registry entries, then unload the hive

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Embed\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{8ECC055D-047F-11D1-A537-0000F8753ED1}\0000]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Embed\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_DUMMY]
    "NextInstance"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Embed\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_DUMMY\0000]
    "Service"="dummy"
    "Legacy"=dword:00000001
    "ConfigFlags"=dword:00000000
    "Class"="LegacyDriver"
    "ClassGUID"="{8ECC055D-047F-11D1-A537-0000F8753ED1}"
    "DeviceDesc"="USB Mass Storage Filter Driver"
    "Capabilities"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Embed\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_DUMMY\0000\Control]
    "ActiveService"="dummy"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Embed\ControlSet001\Services\dummy]
    "DisplayName"="USB Mass Storage Filter Driver"
    "ErrorControl"=dword:00000000
    "Group"="System Reserved"
    "ImagePath"=hex(2):73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,44,00,\
    52,00,49,00,56,00,45,00,52,00,53,00,5c,00,64,00,75,00,6d,00,6d,00,79,00,2e,\
    "Start"=dword:00000000
    "Tag"=dword:00000001
    "Type"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Embed\ControlSet001\Services\dummy\Enum]
    "0"="Root\\LEGACY_DUMMY\\0000"
    "Count"=dword:00000001
    "NextInstance"=dword:00000001

• Replace it in "erd50.iso"
  • Extract "txtsetup.sif" and add the following entries at the bottom of the related sections

CODE
    [InputDevicesSupport.Load]
    usbstor = dummy.sys

[files.usbstor]
    dummy.sys,4

• Copy/add "dummy.sys" in "/I386/system32/drivers" folder
  • Save the iso image and build ERD dsk as described here http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8371

It is really very impressive to boot ERD Commander from the 1st UFD (with 2 partitions) without any HD connected to the machine, but a 2nd UFD with Full XP installed on the 2nd partition: all the four partition are visible and ERD connects to the Windows installation on the 2nd partition of the 2nd UFD like a charm... Enjoy! smile.gif

By the way: (C:\) drive results the 1st partition of the 1st booting UFD, (D:\) drive is the 1st partition of the 2nd UFD, (E:\) drive is the 2nd partition of the 1st booting UFD and (F:\) drive is the 2nd partition of the 2nd UFD (with Full XP installation). cheers.gif

Adding "dummydisk.sys" filter driver to XP Recovery Console IMG
  • Open your disk image built as described here or even here with WinImage
  • Extract "setupreg.hiv" and load it (naming it as "Embed") in Regedit importing the same above registry entries
  • Add the same above entries in "txtsetup.sif" at the bottom of the related sections
  • Copy/add "dummy.sys" in "cmdcons" folder
  • Replace "setupreg.hiv" and "txtsetup.sif" with the existing ones
  • Save the disk image

Just as already reported above, it is really very impressive to see all partitions of any UFDs under XP Recovery Console too... Enjoy! thumbsup.gif
  Forum: Windows 2K/XP/2003 · Post Preview: #75558 · Replies: 0 · Views: 477

Posted on: Aug 15 2009, 10:42 AM

Silver Member

QUOTE (steve6375 @ Aug 14 2009, 10:09 PM) *
Is there any other (simple! wink.gif ) thing I could include?

Hi, steve6375! smile.gif
I think you could add a RAW (sector-by-sector) image-backup mode, useful (please, read: needed) for encrypted drive backups (or even for corrupted partition data-recovery attempts).
Thanks for your aim of enhancements. thumbsup.gif
  Forum: Project forge · Post Preview: #74696 · Replies: 174 · Views: 26,966

CloneDisk
Posted on: Aug 15 2009, 07:42 AM

Silver Member

@ktp

Take a look here http://smallsrv.com/recovery/
  Forum: Project forge · Post Preview: #74685 · Replies: 70 · Views: 4,527

Patching UFD sectors with grub4dos
Posted on: Aug 14 2009, 07:51 PM

Silver Member

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Aug 14 2009, 09:37 PM) *
If you have 4 Kb clusters, it can be as low as 512 bytes, it depends on partition size

Yep, that's why I talked about a probable cluster-size. wink.gif

You see why I was thinking about putting it into menu.lst.

Sure, and - as already said - I appreciated and I thought it was an interesting idea. smile.gif

Too bad sad.gif, it's one of the funniest pieces of geekish humour I've ever seen tongue.gif , expecially if you like Monty Pythons and remember/have seen the "Four Yorkshire Men".

hyper.gif Ok, I will try to read the whole linked page: I promise. tongue.gif cheers.gif
  Forum: Boot from USB / Boot anywhere · Post Preview: #74649 · Replies: 21 · Views: 1,790

Posted on: Aug 14 2009, 07:24 PM

Silver Member

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Aug 14 2009, 02:35 PM) *
The whole point of the exercise

Generally, the whole point of my approach is that I do not like "exercises" wink.gif, really I like the practical and direct application of any theoretical (!) idea. smile.gif
However I understand and share your point of view about the "general impact" of any way/method - as matter of fact I liked your idea and I tried if it worked (if it does not seem to work then probably it is not my fault) - and I agree with your minimalistic inclination, but in my opinion there is a limit for almost everything and I do not like too the "extremisms". rolleyes.gif
Just for the record: your idea (that I like!) about "menu.lst" containing "non-printable characters" (hex values) seems to produce unpredictable behaviours: with some single values it seems to work, with other ones it doesn't (and then grub4dos directly shows the command prompt skipping the menu screen).
Furthermore, in my opinion it needs a certain manual-ability copying/writing and verifying the (unreadable with a text editor) values and - in addition - it introduces a further error-rate. what.gif
Besides it has as side-effect the already mentioned non-readability of the related chars when you open your "menu.lst" with a text editor because the chars themselves are often shown as follows: .

was to avoiding having:
  • an additonal file
  • an additional file sized 32,768 bytes of which only at most 1024 are not 00's and of which you use just 6 (six) single bytes (or at the most 9= are used

As said here I would agree, and I would be very happy if you found a way in order to obtain your (our) goal adding working non-printable chars in your "menu.lst". smile.gif

In my languages, both Italian and English the above means:
  • an unneeded entry for the unneded additional file in the filesystem
  • 32,768-6=32,762 unneded bytes

Here I disagree: that entry is needed instead, at least until a better way is found. wink.gif
About the relatively "unneeded" bytes I could agree, because really that is a my liking.
I like to have the first 63 sectors in a dedicated (32 Kb...) file wub.gif , but it appears quite obvious that file could contain just the needed few bytes just patched. blush.gif
So, frankly I'm not too interested in the "war of bytes", but I respect your personal approach and likings (and pointings! wink.gif).
However even considering a file of just 6 bytes then it will fill at least a probable cluster-size, that's at least 4 Kb. rolleyes.gif

It seems like the message doesn't come through, it doesn't matter

It seems to me that the message does, indeed. wink.gif

it's just me that I am used to carve my bytes by hand, bit by bit

The main thing is that you are happy with that. smile.gif

I do not understand your link, but it does not matter... maybe I do not read it with attention: it appears as too long for my english-readability. cheers.gif
  Forum: Boot from USB / Boot anywhere · Post Preview: #74639 · Replies: 21 · Views: 1,790

Posted on: Aug 14 2009, 11:41 AM

Silver Member

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Aug 14 2009, 12:49 PM) *
The # character does tell grub4dos parser to ignore anything after it.

I said just the same thing, or not? unsure.gif
Then I've simply added that if you place that char (#) even at the end in a "dd" command line then the line itself does not work/execute.

The question was if having BINARY (i.e. hex values coresponding to non-printable characters) does actually work exactly as it should and as it DOES work for "normal" HEX corresponding to printable characters.

jaclaz, if you will be able to working that, then you will have a cold beer on me... 1st.gif cheers.gif
So my answer is: "No, it seems to me that what you suggested is NOT working".
As said, if the above works as expected you have in your hands a "poorman's command line driven hex-editor".

Yep, (if I understood what you mean in english) it seems to me just that cool.gif... even using a separate and dedicated file (as I did) and not the "menu.lst" (as you interestingly supposed) file itself .
My related findings are very exciting in this regard. hyper.gif

You affirmed that the second (not working as it should) hypothesis seems true, then reported a number of reports that it actually worked as it should (first hypothesis) WITHOUT trying it with HEX values (non-printable characters).

Yep, as said I'd already tried that and I had already seen that it did not work... just forgot to report the related result. rolleyes.gif

Using the dedicated "template-file" (32.768 bytes) instead - just as described in my first post - works really great and furthermore you can place it anywhere (in "boot" folder, just as an example). smile.gif
  Forum: Boot from USB / Boot anywhere · Post Preview: #74556 · Replies: 21 · Views: 1,790

grub4dos: two useful entries in menu.lst
Posted on: Aug 14 2009, 10:42 AM

Silver Member

QUOTE (Neel @ Aug 14 2009, 10:45 AM) *
is there any drawback of iso over dsk?

As already said, using the ISO then the "plpbt.bin" file custom-configuration will not result working.
Using the "plpbt.img" instead, the custom configuration will work. smile.gif

You could (want to) edit the "plpbt.bin" file with its configurator "plpcfgbt.exe" http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html#plpcfgbt in order to start from your UFD: hidden PLoP booting and USB 2.0 driver automatically loading, just as an example.

Also, please note that PLoP 5.0.3 ("plpbt-5.0.3.zip" http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagerdl.html) just contains both "plpbt.iso" and "plpbt.img". wink.gif

15/01/2009 09.43 <DIR> install
15/07/2009 20.47 684 1README.TXT
28/03/2009 01.31 42.721 plpbt.bin
03/02/2009 20.06 1.474.560 plpbt.img
28/03/2009 01.31 1.671.168 plpbt.iso
28/03/2009 01.30 46.449 readme.txt
28/03/2009 01.30 52.755 liesmich.txt
14/01/2009 10.02 1.373 licence.txt
7 File(s) 3.289.710 bytes

03/02/2009 20.14 1.474.560 plpbtin.img
28/03/2009 00.00 36.607 plpinst.com
28/03/2009 00.00 36.815 plpinstc.com
28/03/2009 01.31 1.671.168 plpbtin.iso
28/03/2009 00.00 36.815 plpinstc
5 File(s) 3.255.965 bytes

So, wanting to (custom) configure your "plpbt.bin" you have first to edit/configure it with the already mentioned "plpcfgbt.exe" configurator and then to replace it (that's the just edited "plpbt.bin") within the "plpbt.img" file.
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=73455

So, the custom configuration will work with the IMG file and it will not result to work with the ISO image.

cheers.gif
  Forum: Grub4dos · Post Preview: #74545 · Replies: 8 · Views: 1,874

Posted on: Aug 14 2009, 09:12 AM

Silver Member

Sorry for my late reply, but I was very busy. sporty13.gif

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Aug 7 2009, 10:41 AM) *
What I don't know is if the "#" character actually do work as supposed above or if anyway binary values in menu.lst somehow "confuse" grub4dos.

It seems to me the second one.
If placed at the beginning of any line, then grub4dos will ignore the line itself just as expected.
If placed in every other position (even at the end) inside any line related to "dd" command then that line will be ignored anyway (that's the related command will not be executed).
I did just that in order to specify the related function of some commands and then the same commands did not execute (just as the following example: dd if=(hd0,1)/boot/00fat32x of=(hd0) bs=1 count=1 skip=450 seek=450 #1st partition).
So, really I wrote the "#" sign at the beginning of three lines in my first post just for "safety" reasons and just not to parse/execute grub4dos the related commands.
The three "#" are referred to writing (when/if removed) "0C (LBA)" also to the 2nd, 3rd and 4th partitions possibly existing on UFD, for every possible use/case.

cheers.gif

@maanu

Please, note that - just as described in the first post - here we are talking about the UFD patching of some bytes in some its sectors in order to avoid a possible booting failure due to certain/possible Windows behaviours after UFDs formatting (just as wimb - most of all - had reported in some his posts just linked in this topic).
However you suggested me (without your willing wink.gif) to change the topic title in something more pertinent compared to what now it is. thumbup.gif
  Forum: Boot from USB / Boot anywhere · Post Preview: #74528 · Replies: 21 · Views: 1,790

grub4dos: two useful entries in menu.lst
Posted on: Aug 14 2009, 07:27 AM

Silver Member

QUOTE (ktp @ Aug 3 2009, 07:50 PM) *
If for some reason I want to invoke PLoP again from my USB key, it hangs. The iso method on contrary can be invoked many times together with grub4dos without any hang.

If it hangs, may be better to use "plpbt.img".
Using "plpbt.iso" then the "plpbt.bin" - just existing within the floppy image, inside the ISO - editing (with its configurator) does not seem to work (hidden boot & USB 2.0 driver loading, as an example).
  Forum: Grub4dos · Post Preview: #74519 · Replies: 8 · Views: 1,874

Posted on: Aug 6 2009, 06:38 PM

Silver Member

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Aug 6 2009, 07:22 PM) *
what happens if first line of menu.lst (beginning with a #) contains the values to be used as replacement?

Sorry if I didn't understand: do you mean one of the following "#"? unsure.gif

QUOTE (online @ Aug 6 2009, 12:15 PM) *
CODE
dd if=(hd0,0)/boot/fat32x.dat of=(hd0) bs=1 count=1 skip=450 seek=450
#dd if=(hd0,0)/boot/fat32x.dat of=(hd0) bs=1 count=1 skip=466 seek=466
#dd if=(hd0,0)/boot/fat32x.dat of=(hd0) bs=1 count=1 skip=482 seek=482
#dd if=(hd0,0)/boot/fat32x.dat of=(hd0) bs=1 count=1 skip=498 seek=498
dd if=(hd0,0)/boot/fat32x.dat of=(hd0) bs=1 count=1 skip=32320 seek=32320
dd if=(hd0,0)/boot/fat32x.dat of=(hd0) bs=1 count=4 skip=32486 seek=32486

Forum: Boot from USB / Boot anywhere · Post Preview: #73852 · Replies: 21 · Views: 1,790

BOOTING USB2.0 FAST SPEED !!!!
Posted on: Aug 6 2009, 06:27 PM

Silver Member

@jaclaz

@All

Further timing-test:
with the same configuration of the above test, loading ISO (135MB) from USB HD

WD 1600BEA External USB Device (2.5" - 5400 RPM - 160GB)

• USB 1.1 Controller - without PLoP USB 2.0 driver
    8 mins 14 secs to reach the Welcome Screen.
  • USB 1.1 Controller - with PLoP USB 2.0 driver
    35 secs to reach the Welcome Screen.
  • USB 2.0 Controller - without PLoP USB 2.0 driver
    39 secs to reach the Welcome Screen.

Please, note that - to UFD further speed-disadvantage - the ISO file was placed on 2nd partition of my UFD and on the 1st one of my UHD.

So - after all - the Transcend UFD does not seem too slow at all wink.gif, and "as matter of fact" the feeling with its use is just that: it appears just fast... and very very small (with the same external size, 4GB and 8GB too)! cool.gif
http://www.techshout.com/images/jetflash-t3-small.jpg
  Forum: Boot from USB / Boot anywhere · Post Preview: #73849 · Replies: 56 · Views: 6,640

Posted on: Aug 6 2009, 04:52 PM

Silver Member

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Aug 6 2009, 05:38 PM) *
The FAT32 "bootsector" is actually several sectors long.
A sector is 512 bytes.
The 4 additional bytes you have "noticed" are the 4 bytes beginning of the second sector.

I will notice that, too: many thanks for your reply.
  Forum: Boot from USB / Boot anywhere · Post Preview: #73842 · Replies: 21 · Views: 1,790

BOOTING USB2.0 FAST SPEED !!!!
Posted on: Aug 6 2009, 04:32 PM

Silver Member

Timing-test:
CPU - Intel Core2 Duo 2.20 GHz
SDRAM - DDR2-800
Active@ Boot Disk Suite ISO (modded by me, 135MB) loaded from Transcend JetFlash 2GB
root (hd0,1)
map --mem (hd0,1)/boot/bds.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)

• USB 1.1 Controller - without PLoP USB 2.0 driver
    9 mins 15 secs to reach the Welcome Screen, of course it seemed more than hung. wink.gif
  • USB 1.1 Controller - with PLoP USB 2.0 driver
    42 secs to reach the Welcome Screen.
    1 file copied and saved rolleyes.gif from my SystemDrive to the 1st partition of my UFD.
  • USB 2.0 Controller - without PLoP USB 2.0 driver
    49 secs to reach the Welcome Screen.

Please, draw your own conclusions. cheers.gif
  Forum: Boot from USB / Boot anywhere · Post Preview: #73841 · Replies: 56 · Views: 6,640

30 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 

No New Posts  No New Replies
Hot topic  Hot Topic (New)
No new  Hot Topic (No New)
Poll  Poll (New)
No new votes  Poll (No New)
Closed  Locked Topic
Moved  Moved Topic