Hello dear guest!

Boot Land is a community driven pc software site established since 2006 and focused on recovery/backup boot disks, research of Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/7 install/deployment/lease/antivirus/antispam tools, customizing Microsoft Windows PE administration systems and even learning how to recover computer data from disaster situations!

How about joining our boot disk community? So do it. Life's short!

- You get free access to our newsletter with all the interesting buzz about boot disks
  - We share publicity revenue with everyone who wishes to participate at the forums
  - Publicity is never, never, never displayed to members (along with many other cool things)
http://boot-land.net/register

2 Pages V   1 2 >

why a same usb pen doesn't boot on differents computers?
vmbray
Posted on: Feb 24 2010, 05:09 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,338

Like a premonition, I immediately after this conversation found that my laptop and my partners both will not boot the new stick using ntldr. How could I think that I had a way that solved all those issues? Well I didn't really but it does work on every box motherboard I have tried. So anyway I set up another stick with grub4dos mbr and it works on at least one of the laptops. So I'm back to two sticks, but I have a feeling that the combination of these two will be more universal than the last two I was using (one hp util, one make_usb_2 both with grub4dos mbr) but we'll see smile.gif

Thanks for your comments, PLOP is interesting, will have to try it soon!
  Forum: Boot from USB / Boot anywhere · Post Preview: #92352 · Replies: 19 · Views: 1,800

vmbray
Posted on: Feb 23 2010, 06:33 PM

it is one of the most "basic" ones that will not work on a number of "particular" PC's, including the one the OP mentioned.

Okay, I was just trying to help and also see what boxes the method I am using will not work on. Is there a way to get the OPs box to boot from usb?

Forum: Boot from USB / Boot anywhere · Post Preview: #92302 · Replies: 19 · Views: 1,800

vmbray
Posted on: Feb 23 2010, 01:53 PM

Hello! I get it, did you read my thread? It is a combination of formatting and grub4dos that has proven to work great for me.
  Forum: Boot from USB / Boot anywhere · Post Preview: #92263 · Replies: 19 · Views: 1,800

vmbray
Posted on: Feb 23 2010, 12:48 PM

I wonder if what I have been doing the last few days would work for you. It is pretty easy to try...

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=10503

If you're not using grub4dos don't be intimidated by it, once you have it going (and there are lots of great examples to help) it is the best thing right after booting on usb biggrin.gif
  Forum: Boot from USB / Boot anywhere · Post Preview: #92259 · Replies: 19 · Views: 1,800

Most Compatible USB Stick + Grub4Dos Method I have found
vmbray
Posted on: Feb 23 2010, 05:33 AM

Thanks, should have known - the best things are free smile.gif
  Forum: Tutorials · Post Preview: #92244 · Replies: 3 · Views: 1,194

Okay to use boot land logo on boot splash screen?
vmbray
Posted on: Feb 23 2010, 05:28 AM

Thanks! I really appreciate it and everything you do here, it is really awesome.
  Forum: Community forum · Post Preview: #92243 · Replies: 2 · Views: 250

Most Compatible USB Stick + Grub4Dos Method I have found
vmbray
Posted on: Feb 23 2010, 03:28 AM

After trying a number of things and even dipping a toe into the fbinst world (and being very confused and having limited success - I could stick out the confused but I often need to make usb sticks for technicians and it is too fiddly during normal work to deal with) I found the imho truly excellent utility RMPrepUSB

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9460
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=7739

which quicly proved to be more compatible with older machines I have than what I had settled on previously which was two sticks - one hp util formatted and one Make_USB_2 formatted, then grldr installed with the grub4dos gui. Ususally one of these sticks was booting for me, although there are a lot of older machines that I deal with that were not working. Some would even load the grub4dos but fail to pull up the menu, and yet work fine with the new method.

The simplicity of the new method is another real attraction. It is a simple format, then copy files and it just works, I have in fact not been able to find a machine in three days of messing around here and there that won't boot it, including some real difficult ones like intel d865glc and hp d220mt. It also seems to skirt the wisdom of using 2gb flash drives (and this is great, since we can also boot portable hard drives with images on them using FAT32 hopefully), and sticking to FAT, and so far using double partition has not been necessary (and I have a machine that does not like double partition so this is good).

So here's the deal, hopefully it will help someone else...

The first major trick is that you will not install grub4dos mbr, you will use ntldr. This inspiration came from reading the Grub4Dos tutorial

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5187

(THANKS!!!) and thinking about the fact that the very first boot sticks I made with PE2usb seemed to be more bootable and thinking it might have to do with ntldr. This seems to be the real key to it being most compatible, and I think that it has to do with motherboards specifically looking for a bootable NT/XP install. All I know is that I had done all the other things and had some success, but when going to ntldr it made a world of difference.

1. In RMPrepUSB, tick the third boot option 'xp/winpev1/bartpe bootable (ntldr)', and UN-tick the 'boot as hdd (c: 2ptns) option.

2. Click 'prepare drive'

3. Copy in the base XP boot files (it is important to do this first as they need to be first on the disk - not copying first can lead to rapid beeping and/or failure to boot)

the 'base XP boot files' consist of (from a working xpsp3 (sp2 prob fine too) install):

ntldr mine 245kb / 4/14/2008
ntdetect.com mine 47kb / 4/13/2008

make boot.ini like this (thanks again Grub4Dos tutorial)

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default= C:\grldr
[operating systems]
C:\grldr="Grub4Dos"

copy grldr to the root of the stick (not to c:\grub4dos) (used 3/31/2009 4.4 grldr)

4. Copy in menu.lst for grub4dos
5. Copy in the rest of the files, iso, etc.

I place the menu.lst and the other iso's etc in a folder and just copy them all in, the key is copying the first four files right after formatting the drive. ISO booting most of my OSs makes this very clean, the only thing I copy in plain is the netbootdisk contents because it is so fast for booting up to do a quick ghosting that I still love it. You can copy a working netbootdisk contents right into the root of the boot stick (I'm sure there's a better way but...) and add a menu.lst entry like:

title Netboot via IO.SYS - the good old dos
fallback 3
find --set-root /io.sys
chainloader /io.sys
savedefault --wait=2

And boot. So this is very, very easy to set up, and I will be very interested to hear success/failure stories if anyone cares to share, I have been amazed at how it has just worked on every box I've tried. Also seems to help with kicking the mb into usb 2.0 although I'm still feeling that out.

So anyway THANKS a million to everyone contributing here, this forum is truly amazing and has been and is a huge help to me and my company! So where do I donate??? I'll find that next....

Forum: Tutorials · Post Preview: #92239 · Replies: 3 · Views: 1,194

Okay to use boot land logo on boot splash screen?
vmbray
Posted on: Feb 23 2010, 02:43 AM

Hi Guys, I've had a great deal of success lately with building sticks that boot on many motherboards and in my excitement (and because livexp lets you) I made a very quick splash screen for the loading graphic. I would like to put the boot-land logo on it as a way of giving credit and recognition to the incredible work done here but I just wanted to check first to see if it was okay. I didn't find any usage guidelines searching so I figure someone will chime in and tell me 'go for it' or 'no way dude what were you thinking???' biggrin.gif

I'll make a post in the grub4dos forum to detail what specifically seems to be working for me but this is just to check on the logo.

Thanks!
Vince
Attached File(s)
Attached File  one_stick.bmp ( 150.12K ) Number of downloads: 57

Forum: Community forum · Post Preview: #92237 · Replies: 2 · Views: 250

Pinned: Thanks tinybit
vmbray
Posted on: Feb 22 2010, 08:28 PM

Yes! You are the MAN! Thanks x 2^1024!
  Forum: Grub4dos · Post Preview: #92205 · Replies: 14 · Views: 5,197

Create universal flash boot disk with fbinst
vmbray
Posted on: May 8 2009, 08:18 PM

I am working with your cool program now thanks to jaclaz (thanks for pointing this out to me) and have a little feedback from my three test systems:

ECS problem child loves it, boot grub4dos fine.
Intel d865glc loves it too.
Intel d845gerg2 wants to love it, boots grldr, but apparently can't find menu.lst, since it comes up to the generic grub4dos screen in black and white, guessing it can't read the partition once it gets past mbr.

I tried once with the filter driver to format using fbinst leaving a small area and adding another partition the way make_usb_2 does (since d845 likes the make_usb_2 format) and see if it then works.

I'm doing this:
wipe first 400 sectors using dsfi
eject/insert
fbinst --fat16 --base 193 --size 900m (hd2) format
eject/insert
fbinst --base 193 (hd2) load f:\grldr (looks like I don't need to put --base here but it didn't seem to work until I did???)
eject/insert
add another partition using disk mgmt, don't format.

first try I got the same thing, black and white apparently can't see menu.lst. I'll try again, but it seems like the common thread is that the systems that really benefit from the two-partition approach like make_usb_2 don't like this type of format, also the intel d845gerg2 will not boot from the standard hp format while the ECS will.

Thanks again for the new toy!

Forum: USB FORMATTING utilities: RMprepUSB, fbinst, etc. · Post Preview: #67162 · Replies: 76 · Views: 31,875

grub4dos-0.4.4 final will come soon
vmbray
Posted on: May 6 2009, 05:19 PM

I was able to use linux to fdisk. I'm a bit confused as to which sector exactly to start with but I did something like this:

fdisk -u /dev/sdb (-u to get into sector mode right?)
n to create
p for primary
partition number 1
first sector 95
last sector 2779??? that would give me 0 to 2779 = 2880 sectors of total disk used, which seems like it would make sense with the floppy emu part of this.

so that seemed okay since I was then able to use bootlace to install the mbr and it told me 'triple mbr installed'.

now I'm puzzling with the part using dd to get just the first 96 sectors, I'm getting huge output files which I'm sure is the syntax. As a side question it seems like here it would make more sense if I was trying to get the first 95 sectors, or 0 to 94 since that is the area before the partition and would not include the first sector of the new partition. Or maybe we want the first sector of the partition?

My stick is now looking for grldr and not finding it, and also I cannot format the partition in windows, offers to but then gives an error that it couldn't (it's fat 12).

I just wanted to give you an update of where I am so you don't waste time answering an earlier question, thanks again!

Forum: Grub4dos · Post Preview: #66993 · Replies: 82 · Views: 15,128

Pinned: Thanks tinybit
vmbray
Posted on: May 6 2009, 03:13 AM

I'll pile on a heap of thanks here too! Really great work guys, I'm awed by the knowledge of booting and operating systems on this board in general and grub4dos is a prime example of it. Bravo!

Forum: Grub4dos · Post Preview: #66944 · Replies: 14 · Views: 5,197

vmbray
Posted on: May 6 2009, 02:41 AM

tinybit, thank you for trying to help me, I'm not sure I'm getting it but I'm trying. The 256 image doesn't work for me, explorer tells me to 'insert a disk' apparently it's seeing it as a floppy or some such. When I format in disk mgmt it won't boot any more. Two things I'd like to figure out, one, will this work on my trouble machine which I thought I tried last night with success but now I just have done so much I'm confused (and not working see attached picture) and two, to build this from scratch so I can maybe understand how the partition table is supposed to look, I can't understand how it's laid out. I think it's due to the first partition being so small that it confuses me, but I can't adjust the table in beeblebrox and get windows to like it. That seems to be the cause of the trouble machine's unhappiness, since it sees hd0,1 as a non-MS partition.

I loaded up ubuntu in a vm to try to do this from scratch where I'm confused about how to fdisk - I see where you helped someone else but it still doesn't make sense.

1. could you give me a linux command to fdisk as an example?
2. do I just create one partition or two? where does the second one get created?

Sorry I'm such a pest and thanks again for trying to help!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

Forum: Grub4dos · Post Preview: #66943 · Replies: 82 · Views: 15,128

vmbray
Posted on: May 4 2009, 08:36 PM

Thank you, that is very interesting indeed. I'm having a bit of a challenge with this but it does seem to work. It looks like the partition table is different from my flash size (testing with 256mb) so I'm getting drive not formatted, format it now? from windows. However, I was able to get the grub4dos menu with your first image.

I'm writing zeros to the ufd now, then going to format in windows and note in beeblebrox the partition info, then restore your image, then tweak the partition table in beeblebrox so maybe I can see the files.

Is there any way to write just the mbr like what I'm used to in grub4dos? Thanks again, that is very hopeful.

*edit - tried the other images too and it seems like all will boot, and all cause windows to offer to format my usb drive - but I bet you knew that smile.gif Tried in beeblebrox to edit the partition table but since I really don't know what I'm doing this isn't working out. Last thing I tried is the mbrgrldr_8gb.img and it boots on all three of my machines I've been testing - will try others at work tomorrow, very cool! *
  Forum: Grub4dos · Post Preview: #66879 · Replies: 82 · Views: 15,128

vmbray
Posted on: May 4 2009, 01:43 AM

Hi, thanks a lot for your great work on grub4dos, it's a big help to me.

I wonder if there's any help for the 'missing mbr helper' I get on certain of my *crappy* motherboards. I've found that formatting with hp util and installing grub4dos works on them, but formatting with the more compatible make_usb_2 and installing grub4dos causes the error. Very interestingly, copying the mbr sector from the hp format to the make_usb_2 format will cause it to work, but breaks it for other mobo.

I could document this for you in detail if there's any point, don't know if there is any help for it or not but just thought I'd throw it out there. Thanks!

Forum: Grub4dos · Post Preview: #66824 · Replies: 82 · Views: 15,128

Pinned: Newcomer's Tutorial - LiveXP with Optional BootSDI!
vmbray
Posted on: May 4 2009, 12:06 AM

I am getting the browseui.dll error (and the other one reported) only when building the regular iso - sdi iso is fine. Why you would not want sdi is when some of your target machines only have 128 mb ram (long story) and they may not boot from usb reliably.

To troubleshoot, I re-installed a fresh livexp (the small build), pointed it at my xpsp2 source (which I moved to c:\ root just to be sure, livexp is in D:\PE\lxp_no_mod\lx76hfcxb so no spaces (tried in root too to no avail) and still get the error. Attaching log from last build....

Thanks for any help or suggestions, and for all you guys' awesome work here, liveXP is really cool.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  log.7z ( 106.4K ) Number of downloads: 73

Forum: Tutorials · Post Preview: #66821 · Replies: 353 · Views: 43,907

BSOD 0x0000007B
vmbray
Posted on: May 2 2009, 12:12 AM

I can tell you what causes this error, I might actually be able to help someone for a change... well not really since I just know what causes it, not what fixes it. Well sort of, I know one thing that fixes it. Also, I'm sure this is already known by/ posted about by someone more worthy than I, but for a brief moment I had a fantasy that I could contribute something intelligent roll1.gif

This is caused by you boot pe with no main hard drive (or new blank hd) attached with a windows installation on it. You want to miraculously see your machine boot, hook up a hard drive with an xp install on it. Doesn't have to be booting (ie could have corrupted reg, chkdsk problems etc.) but if you hook one up I pretty much guarantee you will boot. It's as if the pe gets confused and thinks it needs something from the main drive, or more likely when the os sees the main hd it looks for xp things there and if it sees them it's okay. Some mobo have this issue and some don't. ** could this be due to pe seeing the hd as c: once booted? that would actually make sense. mobo initializes usb as hd, then starts booting, then sees main hd as c: and looks there for things when it should be looking at usb, doesn't find what it's looking for, and 0x0000007b is the result. could that explain why iso emulation doens't have this since it *knows* it's booting from a 'cd' ??? **

To solve, use grub4dos and load an iso file instead of booting from the usb stick 'raw'. I have never seen this issue (well not in a week of working on this issue) when booting an iso into ram. The only issue I have with this is that some of the pc I support have 128mb ram (and don't need more for their 'normal' life) so this is not a solution for them.

I see a lot of suggestions that this is disk controller related and that may well be the case here (since some mobo work okay), but I have tried (to no avail) loading the correct driver. Also I don't totally buy this since the pe will see the hd once booted so it must have an adequate driver, AND it will only boot with the hd connected. So you can easily test, hook up a hd and boot. Do it, you will see.

This would be nice to figure out for me anyway.
  Forum: LiveXP · Post Preview: #66652 · Replies: 32 · Views: 5,443

vmbray
Posted on: Apr 30 2009, 07:26 PM

Okay, so I get to work and try the stick on the intel d845gerg2, won't boot, stops at a bios-level message of 'remove disks or other media. press any key to restart'. A 'normal' format using make_usb_2 or whatever with grub4dos will boot fine on this mobo. It seems that the ECS is the issue. I'm not sure what about what we did is making it possible for the ECS to boot, and whatever it is causes the intel not to.

I get 'missing mbr helper' on ECS with a 'normal' formatted stick. Checked partition is active, balanced (cool spreadsheet of yours I found...) tried a 512 mb stick (and interestingly get the same 'remove disks...' from the intel, this looks like it is causing the ECS to see the stick in floppy emu). Tried ntfs, fat. Did not try the flamethower yet.

I have made usb sticks using netbootdisk that would boot on the ECS and others, and also some that won't . Maybe I'll play with that some and just see what happens. Thanks again jaclaz.

Vince

Forum: Boot from USB / Boot anywhere · Post Preview: #66519 · Replies: 87 · Views: 28,280

vmbray
Posted on: Apr 30 2009, 11:55 AM

I'm back after two crazy work days/nights. Spring can get very busy for us, actually gives a bit of hope for things, all over they're busier.

I tried to follow exactly and had a couple of points where not 100% sure... but it WORKED.

I did this:
1. Zero out the first, say, 100 sectors:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...=7739&st=59
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...=4015&st=21
Disconnect and re-connnect stick

No problem.

2. Use MBRfix to install a "normal" MBR on the stick (i.e. write 2K/XP/2003 MBR CODE):
http://www.sysint.no/nedlasting/mbrfix.htm
MbrFix /drive <num> fixmbr {/vista} Update MBR code to W2K/XP/2003 or Vista
(without the /vista switch)
Optionally use my pseudo-GUI for it:
http://home.graffiti.net/jaclaz:graffiti.net/
make sure that you choose the RIGHT physicaldrive!

Still good.

3. Use Beeblebrox:
http://students.cs.byu.edu/~codyb/
to write the MBR DATA:
Entry/Type/Boot/bCyl/bHead/bSect/eCyl/ eHead/eSect/Start Sector/Num Sectors
#1/0E/80/0/1/1/ 120/254/63/63/1.957.825 <- NOTE: the CHS and LBA are unbalanced

Here I'm a little confused, first time w/beeblebrox. You say entry #1 so I tried on the first and second line before settling on the second line, now I think it should be the first. After saving, my type goes back to 00. At this point it doesn't seem to be doing the right thing.

4. Format the partition with normal XP FORMAT

I had to also create the partition, should it have shown up partitioned but not formatted?

5. Run grubinst on the stick.

yup.

6. Copy the first 16 sectors with HDhacker to a file.

7. Add the grldr and whatever files you used before and try booting from the stick on the pesky machine

So I can only follow instructions without some error for so long, I copied the grub files before backing up the sectors. I know, I know. I have to live with it though so be gentle. smile.gif

And it works, boots grub4dos on both machines. Thanks again for your help, can't wait to hear what you think of the experiment. Oh, almost forgot, I didn't have to change the sector count to balance it, it was balanced when I ran beeblebrox the second time. Gotta run but here's some files and pictures....
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached File(s)
Attached File  WORKS.7z ( 5.69K ) Number of downloads: 88

Forum: Boot from USB / Boot anywhere · Post Preview: #66472 · Replies: 87 · Views: 28,280

vmbray
Posted on: Apr 27 2009, 10:48 PM

Attached requested first 16 sectors. Just to clarify the steps and where I think it may be confusing. I numbered the steps to correspond with the files and tried to say exactly what I've done. Also included two tinyhexer comparisons of mbr which show the differences between:

xp disk mgmt vs make_usb_2 format and grub4dos install, and,
hp util vs make_usb_2 format and grub4dos install.

1. Using hp format util, format fat (or ntfs) not bootable.
2. Install grub4dos mbr and backup mbr using hdhacker - save this.
Call this mbr1 - this is a grub4dos mbr written on an hp format .

3. Use make_usb_2.exe to format the usb ntfs, apply both patches.
4. Install grub4dos files and mbr using grubinst_gui
Call this mbr2 - this is grub4dos mbr written on make_usb_2 format.

5. Use hdhacker to put back in place mbr1 (just first sector) from step 2.

(Note that the two mbr are different - they are the ones I zipped up several posts ago. I think the differences in just the mbr account for the working, esp since I replace just that when writing mbr1 over the second format of the disk.)

After testing on more machines today I concluded that this fix only really helps the ECS 915-m5. My other machines are either fine with the 'regular' format or in once instance booted but didn't have enough ram to load the sdi ohmy.gif

What I find interesting here is that grubinst is creating the mbr different for different formats of the disk. Does this make sense that it should be doing this?

Attached File(s)
Attached File  5_steps_for_jaclaz.7z ( 435.87K ) Number of downloads: 74

Forum: Boot from USB / Boot anywhere · Post Preview: #66166 · Replies: 87 · Views: 28,280

vmbray
Posted on: Apr 26 2009, 07:29 PM

Attached the mbr created when formatting with make_usb_2 then installing grub4dos mbr using grubinst_gui. The first partition is active here and yet on the 915-m5 I get 'missing mbr helper'

root of usb contains:
bootlace.com
grldr
grldr.mbr
grubinst.exe
grubinst_gui.exe
livexp_ram.iso
menu.lst

boots perfectly on intel d865glc mobo btw.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  grub4dos_format_with_make_usb_2_no_work_on_915m5.7z ( 576bytes ) Number of downloads: 76

Forum: Boot from USB / Boot anywhere · Post Preview: #66001 · Replies: 87 · Views: 28,280

vmbray
Posted on: Apr 26 2009, 07:16 PM

Thanks for taking the time to look at this with me, yes I left out a step... in red below.

Using hp format util, format fat, then install grub4dos mbr and backup mbr using hdhacker - save this.
Use your make_usb_2.exe to format the usb ntfs, apply both patches.
Install grub4dos files and mbr
Use hdhacker to install the mbr saved above.
This will now boot on all my machines so far, more testing needed.

So the whole format/install grub is done twice. First using hp util to format and save mbr, then all over again using make_usb_2. Lastly restore mbr from first format/grub4dos install.

Interesting the comments about hp util, I'm using 2.0.6 for all this, I'll have to look into your comments some more.
  Forum: Boot from USB / Boot anywhere · Post Preview: #66000 · Replies: 87 · Views: 28,280

vmbray
Posted on: Apr 26 2009, 06:41 PM

Hmm , something sounds just not right

Well that's no surprise - you'd cringe if you saw some of the stuff I've done. And you're right, this causes a little bitty issue when I write this to a different stick (2gb vs 1gb) and this is cool too - I can do this and it will boot and work, but when ejected from the machine after format and set-up and re-inserted, windows will say not formatted. But it boots fine. This must be because I am mis-matching the first sector to the rest of the format. It also says not formatted in PE after booting.

I am writing/restoring just the first sector. maybe it would help to do more sectors? I'm out of my league here...

Thus, both the CODE and DATA in the MBR is written by the grub4dos MBR install, it is then "set aside" and then re-written to the MBR exactly as it was before.

Not exactly, these are the two mbr first sectors I attached earlier in the thread. They are not exactly alike, both were written by grub4dos - one on a stick formatted by hp util and one formatted by windows disk mgmt. I 'set aside' the one written on the hp util formatted stick and used it after grub4dos installed mbr on the make_usb_2 formatted stick - and it works on both machines which is strange and cool. Of course I have more to do here since while it is booting it is not useable as usb stick anymore due to 'not formatted' message, I will work on this some more.

To me this is a somewhat big discovery since I used to use a dos netbootdisk with ghost which had very high compatibility with different machines and I've been frustrated by the windows PE not being more compatible. There's something here....

Forum: Boot from USB / Boot anywhere · Post Preview: #65996 · Replies: 87 · Views: 28,280

vmbray
Posted on: Apr 26 2009, 03:36 PM

wimb, I can give some confirmation this seems to be helping, and the program is very convenient also - thanks. I've been working on grub4dos to load winbuilder iso images, grub4dos definitely gives more compatibility but I've had challenges getting one setup that loads across such mobo as ecs 915-m5 and intel d865glc/d845gerg2. I noted before that I could install mbr using grubinst_gui and get it to boot on one or the other but NOT both. With your make_usb_2.exe I think I've found a way, at least for these two machines (all grub4dos mbr seem to work on my newer stuff). Here's what I did:

Using hp format util, format fat, then install grub4dos mbr and backup mbr using hdhacker - save this.
Use your make_usb_2.exe to format the usb ntfs, apply both patches.
Use hdhacker to install the mbr saved above.
This will now boot on all my machines so far, more testing needed.

This seems to open up ideas of how to create different mbr to test on machines for best compatibility, note that the mbr that works the most came from installing grub4dos mbr on a hp util formatted stick and combined with make_usb_2.exe patches will boot on both my stubborn machines, only way I've achieved this yet - and after much, much head banging into the wall.

Put this with the latest liveXP iso and I can boot from iso using bootSDI. Woohoo. Really cool. Thanks to everyone who had a hand in this being possible, you guys rock!

Forum: Boot from USB / Boot anywhere · Post Preview: #65986 · Replies: 87 · Views: 28,280

Install XP from USB AFTER Booting with PE from HDD or USB
vmbray
Posted on: Apr 25 2009, 01:53 AM

Hi wimb, I just tried to use your script to format a stick and the 'format stick' is greyed out. I can see the stick in other software like petousb as shown in attachment, strange. I tried installing the autoit3 and that didn't make any difference. Also tried different sticks - am I missing something? Thanks-
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

Forum: Tutorials · Post Preview: #65875 · Replies: 316 · Views: 162,889

2 Pages V   1 2 >

No New Posts  No New Replies
Hot topic  Hot Topic (New)
No new  Hot Topic (No New)
Poll  Poll (New)
No new votes  Poll (No New)
Closed  Locked Topic
Moved  Moved Topic