Printable Version of Topic

Click here to view this topic in its original format

Boot Land _ VistaPE _ VistaPE new site and new version

Posted by: NightMan Oct 8 2007, 08:07 AM

VistaPE site moved to new hosting, new version of VistaPE is also available smile.gif

http://www.vistape.net

cheers.gif

Posted by: booty#1 Oct 8 2007, 08:58 AM

Hi folks,

I already had the chace to play around with this new version for some days and I can only say thumbup.gif "Great!" thumbup.gif

Please note that this version does not continue the API introduced in beta 009.

booty#1

Posted by: paraglider Oct 8 2007, 12:30 PM

Looks like the new servers are:

www.vistape.net/project
www.vistape.net/beta

Posted by: paraglider Oct 8 2007, 12:31 PM

Looks like the download of pcw2007.script is broken. I get a missing file reported and the download hangs.

Posted by: NightMan Oct 8 2007, 02:09 PM

QUOTE (paraglider @ Oct 8 2007, 04:31 PM) *
Looks like the download of pcw2007.script is broken. I get a missing file reported and the download hangs.

fixed, thanks smile.gif

ps it was replaced with pcw2008.script smile.gif

Posted by: powaking Oct 8 2007, 03:54 PM

Auslogic Defrag just got updated too to 1.4

Posted by: phox Oct 8 2007, 04:26 PM

This is the problem I have experienced with version 8:  log.zip ( 2.38K ) : 14

And this is how I overcome it temporarily:  Change.zip ( 227bytes ) : 15

Why DirMove command is not working?

In addition ShutDown/Restart is not working?!

Posted by: darren rose Oct 8 2007, 05:43 PM

When downloading from new server getting message about missing file and then download seems to freeze and I have to restart winbuilder

NightMan's Linux - bzimage26.web

Posted by: Nuno Brito Oct 8 2007, 09:56 PM

wb gets confused when a file has no extension - this bug was mentioned by booty#1 - the only workaround at the moment is downloading this file manually.

-- Select the file on download center
-- Click on "Details" tab
-- Select Direct Link

Hope this works, good luck! smile.gif

Posted by: TheHive Oct 9 2007, 08:36 AM

Glad youre still around. I tought you had left us.
Thanks for the update. Will mess with it on weekend.

Posted by: NightMan Oct 9 2007, 10:47 AM

QUOTE (phox @ Oct 8 2007, 08:26 PM) *
Why DirMove command is not working?

do you really have this folders? it can happen if you not run "Copy Files" script ... please make and post FULL project log, not only one script...

Posted by: phox Oct 9 2007, 06:13 PM

QUOTE (NightMan @ Oct 9 2007, 09:47 AM) *
do you really have this folders? it can happen if you not run "Copy Files" script ... please make and post FULL project log, not only one script...

Testing of VstaPE 10 under Vista Ultimate with WinBuilder 072a and Vista Ultimate source.

1. ExplorerV.Script is absent in download and I have copied version 7 from VistaPE 08.

2. DirMove command in Standard-6-postconfig.script is not working:  log1.zip ( 56.14K ) : 12

and boot.wim is not generated, having as consequence very large ISO.

I have replaced it with following sequence:

DirCopy,"%targetdir%\Program#$sFiles",%BootTMP%
DirCopy,"%targetdir%\ProgramData",%BootTMP%
DirCopy,"%targetdir%\sources",%BootTMP%
DirCopy,"%targetdir%\Users",%BootTMP%
DirCopy,"%targetdir%\Windows",%BootTMP%
DirDelete,"%targetdir%\Program#$sFiles"
DirDelete,"%targetdir%\ProgramData"
DirDelete,"%targetdir%\sources"
DirDelete,"%targetdir%\Users"
DirDelete,"%targetdir%\Windows"

but it increases processing time.  log2.zip ( 55.92K ) : 6

3. ShutDown/Reset is not working.

4. There is error in recc.script:

Type=Script
Selected=False
Locked=false
evel=7
Author=NightMan
Title=Windows XP SP2 Recovery Console
Description=Request Grub4Dos as boot manager!
Version=010
Date=08.10.2007
Contact=http://www.vistape.net
Credits=
Selected=True
Locked=false
Download_Level=0

5. There is error in PowerISO.Script:

RegWrite,HKLM,0x1,"WB-Default\Software\PowerISO","Install_Dir","X:\Program Files\PowerISO"
RegWrite,HKLM,0x4,"WB-Default\Software\PowerISO","Status","5"
RegWrite,HKLM,0x4,"WB-Default\Software\PowerISO","ShellIntegration","1"
RegWrite,HKLM,0x4,"WB-Default\Software\PowerISO","Language","1033"
RegWrite,HKLM,0x4,"WB-Default\Software\PowerISO\SCDEmu","DiskCount","1"
RegWrite,HKLM,0x4,"WB-Default\Software\PowerISO\SCDEmu","FLAGS","1"
RegWrite,HKLM,0x1,"WB-Default\Software\PowerISO","Install_Dir","X:\Program Files\PowerISO"

Posted by: powaking Oct 9 2007, 06:30 PM

QUOTE (phox @ Oct 9 2007, 06:13 PM) *
Testing of VstaPE 10 under Vista Ultimate with WinBuilder 072a and Vista Ultimate source.

1. ExplorerV.Script is absent in download and I have copied version 7 from VistaPE 08.

2. DirMove command in Standard-6-postconfig.script is not working:  log1.zip ( 56.14K ) : 12

and boot.wim is not generated, having as consequence very large ISO.

I have replaced it with following sequence:

DirCopy,"%targetdir%\Program#$sFiles",%BootTMP%
DirCopy,"%targetdir%\ProgramData",%BootTMP%
DirCopy,"%targetdir%\sources",%BootTMP%
DirCopy,"%targetdir%\Users",%BootTMP%
DirCopy,"%targetdir%\Windows",%BootTMP%
DirDelete,"%targetdir%\Program#$sFiles"
DirDelete,"%targetdir%\ProgramData"
DirDelete,"%targetdir%\sources"
DirDelete,"%targetdir%\Users"
DirDelete,"%targetdir%\Windows"

but it increases processing time.  log2.zip ( 55.92K ) : 6

3. ShutDown/Reset is not working.

4. There is error in recc.script:

Type=Script
Selected=False
Locked=false
evel=7
Author=NightMan
Version=010
Date=08.10.2007
Credits=
Selected=True
Locked=false
Download_Level=0

5. There is error in PowerISO.Script:

When I try to execute the Recovery Console I get a prompt to insert disc 2 so that doesn't seem to work (at least not for me).

Posted by: NightMan Oct 10 2007, 07:34 AM

ExplorerV.Script is absent in download and I have copied version 7 from VistaPE 08.

VistaPE-Beta\Shell\3-explorerv.script

ShutDown/Reset is not working.

explorer script is ALFA only and many many functions is not work!

There is error in recc.script

where? "evel=7"? error with downloading, file on server have right string:

[main]
Type=Script
Selected=True
Locked=false
level=7
Author=NightMan
Version=010
Date=08.10.2007
Credits=
Selected=False
Locked=false
Download_Level=0

There is error in PowerISO.Script:

contact to script author smile.gif

When I try to execute the Recovery Console I get a prompt to insert disc 2 so that doesn't seem to work (at least not for me).

please post your txtsetup.sif here, and do you have vistape.cd file in cd root folder?

Posted by: phox Oct 10 2007, 08:02 AM

QUOTE (NightMan @ Oct 10 2007, 06:34 AM) *
where? "evel=7"? error with downloading, file on server have right string:

[main]
Type=Script
Selected=True
Locked=false

level=7
Author=NightMan
Version=010
Date=08.10.2007
Credits=
Selected=False
Locked=false

Download_Level=0

Why DirMove command in Standard-6-postconfig.script is not working?

Posted by: NightMan Oct 10 2007, 08:28 AM

There is error in recc.script

fixed, sorry sad.gif

Why DirMove command in Standard-6-postconfig.script is not working?

hm... i not know, you are first with this problem, try run scripts step-by-step and try move it manually... may be problem with Vista Ultimate ... try make test script with DirMove command, is it work?

Posted by: psc Oct 10 2007, 10:43 AM

@Nightman

As known, I'm not really a Vista friend.
But currently I tried to install VistaPE Multiboot (beta) to do some experiments with networking (or better, because I promised to darren rose http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=3241&view=findpost&p=22279).

I sometimes before got already a running ISO, but in this case -independent of WAIK or Vista source- the Emulator comes up with sencefull things, shows the '???' picture with some geometrical and coloured items, and the screen becomes black.

I once waited for 1 our: no change.

Maybe you give a tutorial for such stupid Vista users like me, what to do if you have

Perhaps some options of some scripts cannot be used like download?
Then I suggest to upload a version which runs on 'One Click' like nativeEx_barebone and LiveXP (I think NatipePE, too)

Thanks

Peter

Posted by: powaking Oct 10 2007, 01:23 PM

QUOTE (NightMan @ Oct 10 2007, 07:34 AM) *
please post your txtsetup.sif here, and do you have vistape.cd file in cd root folder?

Yes I have the Vistape.cd in the root folder. Here is my txtsetup.sif file

txtsetup.sif.txt.txt ( 460.95K ) : 21

Posted by: darren rose Oct 10 2007, 02:08 PM

QUOTE (psc @ Oct 10 2007, 11:43 AM) *
@Nightman

As known, I'm not really a Vista friend.
But currently I tried to install VistaPE Multiboot (beta) to do some experiments with networking (or better, because I promised to darren rose http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=3241&view=findpost&p=22279).

I sometimes before got already a running ISO, but in this case -independent of WAIK or Vista source- the Emulator comes up with sencefull things, shows the '???' picture with some geometrical and coloured items, and the screen becomes black.

I once waited for 1 our: no change.

Maybe you give a tutorial for such stupid Vista users like me, what to do if you have
  • WAIK only
  • Vista DVD only (I have the 'universal' with about 2.x Gb)
  • Both of them
Perhaps some options of some scripts cannot be used like download?
Then I suggest to upload a version which runs on 'One Click' like nativeEx_barebone and LiveXP (I think NatipePE, too)

Thanks

Peter

Hi Peter, just noticed your message, thank's so much for going to this much trouble - I have now posted a message saying that I have got the networking working with the new beta 010 build

Just out of interest I have only the vista DVD (The Windows Anytime Upgrade one that comes with some PC's), I don't have the WAIK as can't be bothererd to download a 1gb if I don't need it!, and VistaPE 010 builds and runs fine!!!

Great product and an excellent forum with some really friendly and helpful people, makes a nice change

Thanks all

Posted by: psc Oct 10 2007, 02:17 PM

QUOTE (darren rose @ Oct 10 2007, 04:08 PM) *
Hi Peter, just noticed your message, thank's so much for going to this much trouble - I have now posted a message saying that I have got the networking working with the new beta 010 build

Just out of interest I have only the vista DVD (The Windows Anytime Upgrade one that comes with some PC's), I don't have the WAIK as can't be bothererd to download a 1gb if I don't need it!, and VistaPE 010 builds and runs fine!!!

Great product and an excellent forum with some really friendly and helpful people, makes a nice change

Thanks all

Glad that you are successfull now! cheers.gif

But I currenty want to solve the how-to issue for me personally.
I do not like: Everything is working well, and nobody knows, why

Peter

Posted by: darren rose Oct 10 2007, 02:33 PM

QUOTE (psc @ Oct 10 2007, 03:17 PM) *
Glad that you are successfull now! cheers.gif

But I currenty want to solve the how-to issue for me personally.
I do not like: Everything is working well, and nobody knows, why

Peter

I can understand that, I'm sure I will hit another stumbling block soon but so far so good!

Posted by: phox Oct 10 2007, 02:56 PM

QUOTE (darren rose @ Oct 10 2007, 01:33 PM) *
I can understand that, I'm sure I will hit another stumbling block soon but so far so good!

That makes life more interesting!

Remember: it's only beta release.

Posted by: powaking Oct 10 2007, 06:11 PM

Not sure why but for some reason but I can't get networking to work in this new VistaPE build.

Anyone have any ideas? Not getting any IP address and PENetCFG reports an error when trying to start the TCPIP service.

Posted by: JonF Oct 11 2007, 12:00 AM

I'm happy that the LiteStep script now allows lots of desktop icons with no modifiction. thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

I'm sad that the "Delete Work Folder" option has disappeared from the LiteStep script, since the desktop icons font size appears to be set to the vicinithy of four points, so in order to read the captions I'll have to extract the 7z, unpack it, fix it, pack it, and re-insert it.

I'm also not getting the network to work, but I need to do some testing before I complain.

Posted by: powaking Oct 11 2007, 12:31 PM

QUOTE (JonF @ Oct 11 2007, 12:00 AM) *
I'm happy that the LiteStep script now allows lots of desktop icons with no modifiction. thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

I'm sad that the "Delete Work Folder" option has disappeared from the LiteStep script, since the desktop icons font size appears to be set to the vicinithy of four points, so in order to read the captions I'll have to extract the 7z, unpack it, fix it, pack it, and re-insert it.

I noticed that my icons text are a bit smaller too.

I'm also not getting the network to work, but I need to do some testing before I complain.

Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Posted by: NightMan Oct 11 2007, 01:36 PM

psc

hm...

1. Install WAIK to default folder (you MUST use it, if you have x64 computer, and imagex.exe is better tool for WIM files anyway)
2. Copy Vista DVD to HDD (it's more faste)
3. use Vista DVd as source
4. Download minimum scripts (better for testing) and press "Play" button smile.gif

All must work... folder with WinBuilder must be placed on NTFS disk, better on C: in root (some people have some trouble with others disks, i not know why)

All

did it very different with my screenshots?

http://www.vistape.net/vistape-api.html
Unpack - extract program files from script, example: "Unpack,Folder,AngelWriter.7z,True" - first option (Folder) - directory in script with archives; second parameter (AngelWriter.7z) - archive name; third option (in this case " True ") is used only in self extracting archives (files with exe extension), and used as a parameter start, otherwise ignored. If a directory with the script contain folder with the same name as the output folder (%ProgramFolder%), and it is a file named Programme (% ProgramEXE%), is not extracting archive of the script, and copying files from this folder, it is done for facilitate configuration and maintenance program without making immediate changes in the script.
Also possible advanced usage of this function with directive to target folder and program executable (need for check extracting process), example:
"unpack,Files,%ProgramArchive%,,%target_win%,System32".
Brief description of the parameters:
"Unpack,[Folder],[Archive zip rar 7z and some exe],[True],[%Target_Prog%],[%ProgramFolder%],[%programExe%]"
For extracting archive we use "7z.exe", latest version support 7z, zip, rar and other archive formats.

Network
What network adapter do you have? All drivers install correctly?

Posted by: NightMan Oct 11 2007, 01:40 PM

powaking

Yes I have the Vistape.cd in the root folder. Here is my txtsetup.sif file

1. delete %ScriptDir%\RECC folder
2. run this script standalone and post log here, you have error with patching txtsetup.sif file and i need log to help you smile.gif

Posted by: powaking Oct 11 2007, 01:42 PM

QUOTE (NightMan @ Oct 11 2007, 01:36 PM) *
psc

hm...

1. Install WAIK to default folder (you MUST use it, if you have x64 computer, and imagex.exe is better tool for WIM files anyway)
4. Download minimum scripts (better for testing) and press "Play" button smile.gif

All must work... folder with WinBuilder must be placed on NTFS disk, better on C: in root (some people have some trouble with others disks, i not know why)

All

Network

Nothing has changed since building 09 version. Only difference I can see is your Driver plugin is a different size than 010 version. What I did to run out my environment is move my 09 version to a different folder, downloaded 010 and rebuild and no network.

In device manager I see the network card drive not installed. This is on an IBM Netvista machine with intel nic. Not even in VirtualBox (I included those drivers).

I'll try a build it with 09 version of your driver pack and see if that resolves the issue.

Edit: PCWizard 2008 is still pointing to the pc2007.exe file. Need to fix that. Also if you like this one you can add this splash pic to Grub, its what I use.

[attachment=3196:face.gz]

Posted by: powaking Oct 11 2007, 01:48 PM

QUOTE (NightMan @ Oct 11 2007, 01:40 PM) *
powaking

1. delete %ScriptDir%\RECC folder
2. run this script standalone and post log here, you have error with patching txtsetup.sif file and i need log to help you smile.gif

Here it is:

[attachment=3195:txtsetup.sif.txt]

Posted by: powaking Oct 11 2007, 02:31 PM

QUOTE (powaking @ Oct 11 2007, 01:42 PM) *
Nothing has changed since building 09 version. Only difference I can see is your Driver plugin is a different size than 010 version. What I did to run out my environment is move my 09 version to a different folder, downloaded 010 and rebuild and no network.

In device manager I see the network card drive not installed. This is on an IBM Netvista machine with intel nic. Not even in VirtualBox (I included those drivers).

I'll try a build it with 09 version of your driver pack and see if that resolves the issue.

Edit: PCWizard 2008 is still pointing to the pc2007.exe file. Need to fix that. Also if you like this one you can add this splash pic to Grub, its what I use.

[attachment=3196:face.gz]

I tried building with 09 of your Driver plugin and I did get an IP in VirtualBox but I had to issue the startnet command to get an IP. I'm going to burn to CD and see if it grabs an IP natively rather than virtual.

Posted by: powaking Oct 11 2007, 03:08 PM

QUOTE (powaking @ Oct 11 2007, 02:31 PM) *
I tried building with 09 of your Driver plugin and I did get an IP in VirtualBox but I had to issue the startnet command to get an IP. I'm going to burn to CD and see if it grabs an IP natively rather than virtual.

Ok the build with 09 driver plugin worked on my IBM Netvista but not on my HP NC6000 laptop. My previous build worked with this same laptop so something is up in regards to networking between 09 to 010. Not sure what.

Posted by: psc Oct 11 2007, 06:44 PM

QUOTE (NightMan @ Oct 11 2007, 03:36 PM) *
psc

hm...

Following this procedure I again got a 'black screen'
BTW:
Before building, in PreConfig I changed 'C:\Program Files\Windows AIK' to 'C:\Programme\Windows AIK'
The default preset should be:
'%ProgramFilesDir%\Windows AIK'
That makes it language independend (for fools like me who do not check all scripts before first trial)
I do not know whether with the default shell 'LiteStep' something has to be customized.
Because I am the best friend of BG (to H*** with him), I used 'Explorer' in my second trial, and that worked.

Suggestion:
Check your project to be 'One-Click' ready (like nativeEx_barebone, LiveXP and NativePE are)
Give the (newby, fool, dummy, idiot, ...) user a chance to get a running build just after defining the source and then 'Play'.
BTW: Maybe you use qEmu (if it can handle Vista) to run the PE in the 'One-Click'
Peter

Posted by: booty#1 Oct 12 2007, 06:52 AM

QUOTE (psc @ Oct 11 2007, 08:44 PM) *
Following this procedure I again got a 'black screen'

What is the path to your target directory where VistaPE is built?

QUOTE (psc @ Oct 11 2007, 08:44 PM) *
Suggestion:
Check your project to be 'One-Click' ready (like nativeEx_barebone, LiveXP and NativePE are)
Give the (newby, fool, dummy, idiot, ...) user a chance to get a running build just after defining the source and then 'Play'.
BTW: Maybe you use qEmu (if it can handle Vista) to run the PE in the 'One-Click'
Peter

What "additional clicks" were necessary on your system? I usually enter the source path and press Play...

booty#1

Posted by: online Oct 12 2007, 11:54 AM

My first image related 010 version shows that in the tree: is it normal?
Thank you! smile.gif

Posted by: online Oct 12 2007, 12:06 PM

I apologize if I previously wrong the place, maybe http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3279&view=findpost&p=22590 post stays better here.
The issue is http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3046&st=20&p=22588&#entry22588 related: I should need that the program folder is not deleted, but the previous feature in the new version is missing...

Please, how can I restore it? frusty.gif

Posted by: psc Oct 12 2007, 12:21 PM

QUOTE (booty#1 @ Oct 12 2007, 08:52 AM) *
What is the path to your target directory where VistaPE is built?

C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Peter\Desktop\WB Archiv\Beta8\Target\VistaPE-beta
QUOTE (booty#1 @ Oct 12 2007, 08:52 AM) *
What "additional clicks" were necessary on your system? I usually enter the source path and press Play...

In PreConfig I changed 'C:\Program Files\Windows AIK' to 'C:\Programme\Windows AIK'

Peter

Posted by: booty#1 Oct 12 2007, 12:25 PM

QUOTE (psc @ Oct 12 2007, 02:21 PM) *
C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Peter\Desktop\WB Archiv\Beta8\Projects\VistaPE-Beta

And that is the problem. The WIM file that is created at the end of the build process includes all NTFS permissions. On your desktop only administrators and your account have read/write permissions. When VistaPE boots up it fails to read some system files.

I already posted this bug including fix some time ago:
Bug "VistaPE boots into black screen" and how to fix it, VistaPE v008 bug caused by "wrong" NTFS permissions

Addendum: May be we should add an automatic NTFS permission adjustment via http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=69165&package_id=68032.
The correct command line for setting "Everybody" "Full control" would be:

CODE
setacl.exe -ot "file" -on "<absolute path to directory>" -actn ace -actn setprot -op "dacl:p_nc" -ace "n:S-1-1-0;p:full;s:y"

booty#1

Posted by: JonF Oct 12 2007, 12:58 PM

QUOTE (NightMan @ Oct 11 2007, 09:36 AM) *

For me, much smaller. Half the height or less. I do not have a screenshot to post right now. {ABE: See below for screenshot}

Unpack - extract program files from script, example: "Unpack,Folder,AngelWriter.7z,True" - first option (Folder) - directory in script with archives; second parameter (AngelWriter.7z) - archive name; third option (in this case " True ") is used only in self extracting archives (files with exe extension), and used as a parameter start, otherwise ignored. If a directory with the script contain folder with the same name as the output folder (%ProgramFolder%), and it is a file named Programme (% ProgramEXE%), is not extracting archive of the script, and copying files from this folder, it is done for facilitate configuration and maintenance program without making immediate changes in the script.
Also possible advanced usage of this function with directive to target folder and program executable (need for check extracting process), example:
"unpack,Files,%ProgramArchive%,,%target_win%,System32".
Brief description of the parameters:
"Unpack,[Folder],[Archive zip rar 7z and some exe],[True],[%Target_Prog%],[%ProgramFolder%],[%programExe%]"
For extracting archive we use "7z.exe", latest version support 7z, zip, rar and other archive formats.

I do not understand. It appears to me that this describes a process that is far more complicated than the process I described.

Network

Virtual PC 2007. Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 (built in to my Asus motherboard). It works with lots of other VMs and has worked with Beta 9. I am unable to check if the drivers all install correctly in beta 10. PENetcfg says network support has not been installed, and when I click yes the installing dialog box stays ther forever.

I have been trying to make a reference build of beta 9 to make sure that still works but I have been unsuccessful so far; it appears that I have to manually delete the target and temp directories made by beta 10 before beta 9 will work. (If I do not do this I get "Cannot find bcdedit" and get no WIM or ISO). Now I get an ISO but cannot load LiteStep shell. Still working on it ...

OK, here is a Beta 9 screenshot:

and here is beta 10, same VM but booting from the new ISO:

Note the font size.

I saw a command window titled "Net.exe" flash by at boot time; the message inside said something like "The IPdriver ... successfully". I am not sure about the sord "successfully".

Posted by: psc Oct 12 2007, 01:16 PM

QUOTE (booty#1 @ Oct 12 2007, 02:25 PM) *
And that is the problem. The WIM file that is created at the end of the build process includes all NTFS permissions. On your desktop only administrators and your account have read/write permissions. When VistaPE boots up it fails to read some system files.

I already posted this bug including fix some time ago:
Bug "VistaPE boots into black screen" and how to fix it, VistaPE v008 bug caused by "wrong" NTFS permissions

Addendum: May be we should add an automatic NTFS permission adjustment via http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=69165&package_id=68032.
The correct command line for setting "Everybody" "Full control" would be:

CODE
setacl.exe -ot "file" -on "<absolute path to directory>" -actn ace -actn setprot -op "dacl:p_nc" -ace "n:S-1-1-0;p:full;s:y"

booty#1

Thanks, Booty thumbup.gif
After making the changes, I came into a running VirtualBox VistaPE LiteStep.

Peter

Posted by: powaking Oct 12 2007, 01:28 PM

QUOTE (JonF @ Oct 12 2007, 12:58 PM) *
For me, much smaller. Half the height or less. I do not have a screenshot to post right now.

Hmm I wouldn't say half the hight but appears a bit smaller but not a big deal for me as I only have a few icons on the desktop. I can live with it.

I do not understand. It appears to me that this describes a process that is far more complicated than the process I described.
Virtual PC 2007. Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 (built in to my Asus motherboard). It works with lots of other VMs and has worked with Beta 9. I am unable to check if the drivers all install correctly in beta 10. PENetcfg says network support has not been installed, and when I click yes the installing dialog box stays ther forever.

I have been trying to make a reference build of beta 9 to make sure that still works but I have been unsuccessful so far; it appears that I have to manually delete the target and temp directories made by beta 10 before beta 9 will work. (If I do not do this I get "Cannot find bcdedit" and get no WIM or ISO). Now I get an ISO but cannot load LiteStep shell. Still working on it ...

This is pretty much my issue as well. What I haven't done is manually removing the target folder since going from 09 to 010. I'll try that and re-try 010 of his driver pack.

Posted by: powaking Oct 12 2007, 03:59 PM

QUOTE (powaking @ Oct 12 2007, 01:28 PM) *
Hmm I wouldn't say half the hight but appears a bit smaller but not a big deal for me as I only have a few icons on the desktop. I can live with it.
This is pretty much my issue as well. What I haven't done is manually removing the target folder since going from 09 to 010. I'll try that and re-try 010 of his driver pack.

I give up. I'm going to go back to using Nightmans Driver pack from 09 with VistaPE 010 as I can't get networking to work with 010 of the Driver pack.

Anyone else having this issue and was able to get it resolved???? Its really driving me nuts!! frusty.gif frusty.gif what.gif

Posted by: online Oct 12 2007, 04:10 PM

QUOTE (online @ Oct 12 2007, 03:06 PM) *
how can I restore it?

SOLVED!
It needs to restore nothing: it's sufficient add following lines to "1-Litestep.script" then finally Italian clock-time and date-format shall be properly shown also in VistaPE-Beta 010:

CODE
[Process]
. . .
TXTDelLine,"%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc","TimeLblText"
TXTAddLine,"%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc","TimeLblText #$q[time('i:nn')] [lowerCase(time('am/pm'))]#$q","Append"
TXTReplace,"%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc","ddd. mmm. d","ddd. d mmm."

yahoo.gif

Posted by: powaking Oct 12 2007, 04:15 PM

QUOTE (online @ Oct 12 2007, 04:10 PM) *
SOLVED!
It needs to restore nothing: it's sufficient add following lines to "1-Litestep.script" then finally Italian clock-time and date-format shall be properly shown:

CODE
[Process]
. . .
TXTDelLine,"%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc","TimeLblText"
TXTAddLine,"%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc","TimeLblText #$q[time('i:nn')] [lowerCase(time('am/pm'))]#$q","Append"
TXTReplace,"%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc","ddd. mmm. d","ddd. d mmm."

yahoo.gif

You can build on this so that if this theme is selected then it would process the lines

If,"%pScrollBox1%",Equal,"Austerity",TXTDelLine,"%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc","TimeLblText"
If,"%pScrollBox1%",Equal,"Austerity",TXTAddLine,"%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc","TimeLblText #$q[time('i:nn')] [lowerCase(time('am/pm'))]#$q","Append"
If,"%pScrollBox1%",Equal,"Austerity",TXTAddLine,"%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc","TimeLblText #$q[time('i:nn')] [lowerCase(time('am/pm'))]#$q","Append"

Posted by: online Oct 12 2007, 04:26 PM

QUOTE (powaking @ Oct 12 2007, 07:15 PM) *
You can build on this so that if this theme is selected then it would process the lines

If,"%pScrollBox1%",Equal,"Austerity",TXTDelLine,"%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc","TimeLblText"

Thank you so very much, powaking! thumbsup.gif

You know, for me is still a step by step... smile.gif

Btw: what you say, now am I really deserved my mention in "Locale.script"?!? hyper.gif

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3271&view=findpost&p=22463

cheers.gif

Posted by: powaking Oct 12 2007, 04:33 PM

@Nightman

Here is a WinDiff between the Drivers pack from 09 and from 010. Not sure if there is anything that sticks out to you as to why 09 would work and 010 would not work.

[attachment=3211:drivers09_010.txt]

Posted by: online Oct 12 2007, 04:36 PM

And maybe even in "1-Litestep.script"?!? cheers.gif

cheers.gif

Newbie (me) > hyper.gif

rolleyes.gif

Posted by: online Oct 12 2007, 05:59 PM

QUOTE (powaking @ Oct 12 2007, 07:15 PM) *

Just to be exact, there is a "copy&paste" mistake: right strings are the following

CODE
If,"%pScrollBox1%",Equal,"Austerity",TXTReplace,"%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc","ddd. mmm. d","ddd. d mmm."

thumbsup.gif cheers.gif

Posted by: TheHive Oct 13 2007, 10:00 AM

Just got time to test version 10.
Final ISO came out to be 100MB

Something I noticed.
When you first add the http://www.vistape.net/project/
address you get to download the project at around 9MB. That should be the recommended setting but for some reason when I go to selecting the Complete option the toatal increases to 63+MB, that is fine, but when you go back to the option for Recommended the setting seems to go to Showing the Minimum setting of 16K. So Minimum and Recommended seem to default to the same size and selected scripts to download.

Is there no better litestep Skin. More modern looking.

First test went well. Good job on updates.

Posted by: online Oct 14 2007, 10:13 AM

@ powaking

Hi! smile.gif

I've just improved strings adding an hide feature in LiteStep/AusterityShell and perfecting further previous ones (now they are smarter).

New feature consists in a shifting display about elapsed-session-time when mouse-pointer is placed on Time/Date systray-icon (please, see the screenshot).

Then, actual strings are as following

CODE
If,"%pScrollBox1%",Equal,"Austerity",TXTReplace,"%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc","h:nn","i:nn"
If,"%pScrollBox1%",Equal,"Austerity",TXTReplace,"%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc",";TimeLblOnMouseEnter","TimeLblOnMouseEnter"
If,"%pScrollBox1%",Equal,"Austerity",TXTReplace,"%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc",";TimeLblOnMouseLeave","TimeLblOnMouseLeave"
If,"%pScrollBox1%",Equal,"Austerity",TXTReplace,"%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc","ddd. mmm. d","ddd. d mmm."

and all works so very fine.

However another issue exists: in fact it's necessary that strings are active not only if Austerity Theme is selected in LiteSte window, but also if Italian Locale (or any language that use the same format) is selected in "Main Configuration" window, otherwise an US user (for example) should see wrong US standard clock/date format.

Really I think that the issue can be usefully semplified using just two options for both clock-time and date formats:
1. Anglo-Saxon format;
2. Not Anglo-Saxon format.
I still don't know how it can be done, but I'm sure that "somebody" shall help me to do it! thumbsup.gif

Posted by: powaking Oct 14 2007, 12:02 PM

QUOTE (online @ Oct 14 2007, 10:13 AM) *
@ powaking

Hi! smile.gif

I've just improved strings adding an hide feature in LiteStep/AusterityShell and perfecting further previous ones (now they are smarter).

New feature consists in a shifting display about elapsed-session-time when mouse-pointer is placed on Time/Date systray-icon (please, see the screenshot).

Then, actual strings are as following

CODE
If,"%pScrollBox1%",Equal,"Austerity",TXTReplace,"%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc","h:nn","i:nn"
If,"%pScrollBox1%",Equal,"Austerity",TXTReplace,"%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc",";TimeLblOnMouseEnter","TimeLblOnMouseEnter"
If,"%pScrollBox1%",Equal,"Austerity",TXTReplace,"%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc",";TimeLblOnMouseLeave","TimeLblOnMouseLeave"

and all works so very fine.

However another issue exists: in fact it's necessary that strings are active not only if Austerity Theme is selected in LiteSte window, but also if Italian Locale (or any language that use the same format) is selected in "Main Configuration" window, otherwise an US user (for example) should see wrong US standard clock/date format.
Really I think that the issue can be usefully semplified using just two options for both clock-time and date formats:
1. Anglo-Saxon format;
2. Not Anglo-Saxon format.
I still don't know how it can be done, but I'm sure that "somebody" shall help me to do it! thumbsup.gif

Good find. I don't use the Austerity theme myself but I'm sure those who do will find this knowledgeable.

Posted by: JonF Oct 14 2007, 02:23 PM

I'm in the process of testing a fresh download with absolutely no customization. One thing I've noticed ... beta 10 is S L O W. I haven't quantified it but I estimate four times slower than previous version; 20-30 minutes to build beta 9, two or more hours to build beta 10, under similar but maybe not exactly the same circumstances. Vista Ultimate, 3 GHz hyperthreaded P4, 2 GB RAM, RAM usage hovering at about 50%, CPU usage pretty solid 100% while WinBuilder is running. Are others having the same experience?

Posted by: booty#1 Oct 14 2007, 04:29 PM

QUOTE (JonF @ Oct 14 2007, 04:23 PM) *
I'm in the process of testing a fresh download with absolutely no customization. One thing I've noticed ... beta 10 is SLOW. I haven't quantified it but I estimate four times slower than previous version; 20-30 minutes to build beta 9, two or more hours to build beta 10, under similar but maybe not exactly the same circumstances. Vista Ultimate, 3 GHz hyperthreaded P4, 2 GB RAM, RAM usage hovering at about 50%, CPU usage pretty solid 100% while WinBuilder is running. Are others having the same experience?

Interesting, I had the same feeling while trying the new version. But my system is a bit faster and therefore the difference isn't as high as in your case (a full second time v010 build using takes on my system about 10 minutes - C2D E6600 with 3.25GB RAM running XP) . The only obvious difference I noticed was that VistaPE010 contains a lot more programs than v009.

From my observations I would say that most time is consumed by unpacking files attached to the script. Additionally the files are packed twice: The attached files are 7z compressed and WinBuilder compresses them again before attaching. As some of the readers of this forum may remember I already presented an highly optimized attachment decoding function some time ago.
Additionally it is my opinion that it would be time to optimize WinBuilder's script execution speed a bit.

booty#1

Posted by: psc Oct 14 2007, 04:38 PM

QUOTE (booty#1 @ Oct 14 2007, 06:29 PM) *
From my observations I would say that most time is consumed by unpacking files attached to the script. Additionally the files are packed twice: The attached files are 7z compressed and WinBuilder compresses them again before attaching. As some of the readers of this forum may remember I already presented an highly optimized attachment decoding function some time ago.
Additionally it is my opinion that it would be time to optimize WinBuilder's script execution speed a bit.

I agree thumbsup.gif
EDIT +
Should not be seen that I just theoretically agree.
While i usually do not have any troubles with nativeEX based projects, I also had these lllooonnnggg times with VistaPE.
If that could be changed (not by WB only, maybe by the way downloading and extending is handled) >> yahoo.gif
EDIT -

@Booty: Nice new logo!

Peter

Posted by: Nuno Brito Oct 14 2007, 06:26 PM

Nice logo indeed.. laugh.gif

We should really see why it is so slow - on my laptop I noticed that the time used by each project build increases as the number of app scripts gets bigger.

Instead of using 7z files, I'm adopting self extractable exe's - and it results in much faster decompression.

Guess we'll have to run more tests and try new methods to this solve matter.

cheers.gif

Posted by: psc Oct 14 2007, 07:02 PM

QUOTE (Nuno Brito @ Oct 14 2007, 08:26 PM) *

We should really see why it is so slow - on my laptop I noticed that the time used by each project build increases as the number of app scripts gets bigger.

Instead of using 7z files, I'm adopting self extractable exe's - and it results in much faster decompression.

cheers.gif

I think you should look to Booty's work (I do not remember where).
In one topic he explained how to (and as far as I remember with some source code) how to make the attach and reload tasks faster.
BTW: In my apps, I use his posted code snippets!

Peter

Posted by: pedrole15 Oct 14 2007, 07:40 PM

QUOTE (Nuno Brito @ Oct 14 2007, 06:26 PM) *

cheers.gif

The speed is slow because NightMan have modified the api and use many Set and RefreshVar command
Here message between Nightman and me :

QUOTE (Pedro)
As I see you seem don't appreciate my way to program Api with section

NightMan : i only have different program way, better way for me, first, take all ...knowledge (i not know how better say it) and then do something with it, i not very like many branch
QUOTE (Pedro)
It's perhaps a little complicate but it's the only way i found to make Api very fast
In my Api I don't use the Set command, because we must use System,RefreshVar and this is slowing process
I have ask Nuno to make the Set command work like the StrFormat
After a StrFormat command no need to use refreshVar.

NightMan : hm... better way modify System,RefreshVar command and do it faster ... and include many ideas from common API to WinBuilder as standard functions, it will be very fast ...
QUOTE (Pedro)
Have you try my Api as it is ? I think it will be faster than your

NightMan : sorry, no

Posted by: Nuno Brito Oct 14 2007, 08:05 PM

Ok, this all seems good stuff to be discussed over the next beta.. thumbup.gif

Posted by: powaking Oct 15 2007, 01:43 AM

QUOTE (Nuno Brito @ Oct 14 2007, 08:05 PM) *
Ok, this all seems good stuff to be discussed over the next beta.. thumbup.gif

Might have something to do with all the variable errors I get after running through the script once. After that I find myself sometimes needing to either relaunch Winbuilder or reboot. Almost like the variables were not cleared out from before.

Posted by: NightMan Oct 16 2007, 01:57 PM

PCWizard 2008 is still pointing to the pc2007.exe file. Need to fix that.

fixed frusty.gif

Also if you like this one you can add this splash pic to Grub, its what I use.

Thanks!

Ok the build with 09 driver plugin worked on my IBM Netvista but not on my HP NC6000 laptop. My previous build worked with this same laptop so something is up in regards to networking between 09 to 010. Not sure what.

i try make more tests at weekend confused1.gif

Before building, in PreConfig I changed

script:
CODE
[AutoFindImagex]
Echo,"Detecting #$qimagex.exe#$q..."
If,ExistFile,"%pFileBox1%\Tools\%SysType%\imagex.exe",Set,"%IMAGEX%","%pFileBox1%\Tools\%SysType%\imagex.exe"
If,ExistFile,"%pFileBox1%\Tools\%SysType%\imagex.exe",Set,%ImageTool%,"ImageX"
If,ExistFile,"%Tools%\imagex.exe",Set,"%IMAGEX%","%Tools%\imagex.exe"
If,ExistFile,"%Tools%\imagex.exe",Set,%ImageTool%,"ImageX"
If,ExistFile,"%ProgramFilesDir%\Tools\%SysType%\imagex.exe",Set,"%IMAGEX%","%pFileBox1%\Tools\%SysType%\imagex.exe"
If,ExistFile,"%ProgramFilesDir%\Tools\%SysType%\imagex.exe",Set,%ImageTool%,"ImageX"

so, you can not change anything smile.gif

may be, i not test it with latest qEmu, but it's not work early smile.gif

Check your project to be 'One-Click' ready

i'm working working working wink.gif

My first image related 010 version shows that in the tree: is it normal?

right now YES smile.gif

The issue is LiteStep related: I should need that the program folder is not deleted, but the previous feature in the new version is missing...

hm... make %ScriptDir%\Litestep folder and extract ALL files from archive in it and script will automatically copy it ...

May be we should add an automatic NTFS permission adjustment via "SetAcl.exe".

all really work with this command? i need set permissions before mounting wim files? (please PM to me)

Note the font size.

very interesting... problem only with desktop or other fonts not wok correctly too?

Here is a WinDiff between the Drivers pack from 09 and from 010. Not sure if there is anything that sticks out to you as to why 09 would work and 010 would not work.
hm... i try update it as soon as possible... i plane take original drivers from Vista DVD, not from other additional packs smile.gif

One thing I've noticed ... beta 10 is S L O W
YES, all program use API functions and it's take many many time for many checks ... i working for optimization, but as is now... smile.gif

ps too many quote in one message smile.gif

Posted by: Nuno Brito Oct 16 2007, 02:14 PM

wb itself is also intented to have some speed improvements - especially on the variable related commands.. smile.gif

Posted by: powaking Oct 16 2007, 03:14 PM

QUOTE (Nuno Brito @ Oct 16 2007, 02:14 PM) *
wb itself is also intented to have some speed improvements - especially on the variable related commands.. smile.gif

@ Nightman

I think I figured out why XP Recovery Console isn't getting updated properly. There are spaces in the line of text it is looking for. I made the changes and it appears to have made the change. Haevn't tested it yet but will do and report my findings.

Edit: Yep thats what it was. Here is the change to the script.

CODE
TXTReplace,"%TmpFolder%\TXTSETUP.SIF","cdtagfile   = #$q\win51ip#$q","cdtagfile   = #$q\vistape.cd#$q"
TXTReplace,"%TmpFolder%\TXTSETUP.SIF","cdtagfilei   = #$q\win51ip#$q","cdtagfilei   = #$q\vistape.cd#$q"
TXTReplace,"%TmpFolder%\TXTSETUP.SIF","spcdtagfilei   = #$q\win51ip.sp2#$q","spcdtagfilei   = #$q\vistape.cd#$q"

Posted by: JonF Oct 16 2007, 08:52 PM

QUOTE (NightMan @ Oct 16 2007, 09:57 AM) *
Note the font size.

very interesting... problem only with desktop or other fonts not wok correctly too?

Only the desktop. Everything else is OK. If I increase IconDeskDTopFontSize in LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\desktop_icons.rc the problem goes away.

I have not yet gotten networking to work in Virtual PC 2007, even with a clean download of beta 10 and/or the drivers from beta 9.

Posted by: NightMan Oct 18 2007, 01:23 PM

All is fixed and uploded, network (drivers) will be fixed soon smile.gif

Posted by: powaking Oct 18 2007, 01:44 PM

QUOTE (NightMan @ Oct 18 2007, 01:23 PM) *
All is fixed and uploded, network (drivers) will be fixed soon smile.gif

Can you see this post regarding ISOLinux? Not so much the password feature but the part on memtest and others not working with ISOLinux.

http://boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3329

Posted by: phox Oct 19 2007, 08:40 AM

Does anybody knows why qEmu doesn’t like VistaPE.iso?

I am tired to test every VistaPE build on a real PC and
any other virtual system is too complicated for me.

Thank you.

Posted by: psc Oct 19 2007, 09:14 AM

QUOTE (phox @ Oct 19 2007, 10:40 AM) *

Than you did not try VirtualBox yet!

Just install it on your pc and use the VirtualBox.script instead of the qEmu.script

Peter

Posted by: NightMan Oct 19 2007, 09:50 AM

QUOTE (powaking @ Oct 18 2007, 05:44 PM) *
Can you see this post regarding ISOLinux? Not so much the password feature but the part on memtest and others not working with ISOLinux.

fixed, thanks smile.gif

Posted by: NightMan Oct 19 2007, 09:52 AM

qEmu is not compatible with Windows Vista ...

Posted by: powaking Oct 19 2007, 12:38 PM

QUOTE (phox @ Oct 19 2007, 08:40 AM) *

I am tired to test every VistaPE build on a real PC and

Thank you.

Check out VirtualBox. Its not that big and for testing you can't beat it. With some tweaking you can get networking to work too.

Posted by: phox Oct 19 2007, 03:59 PM

QUOTE (powaking @ Oct 19 2007, 11:38 AM) *
Check out VirtualBox. Its not that big and for testing you can't beat it. With some tweaking you can get networking to work too.

Thank you for the suggestion.

I have downloaded and installed version 1.3.2 and 1.5.2,
but neither have USB and Network support working!!!

How could I make those work?

Posted by: powaking Oct 19 2007, 04:42 PM

QUOTE (phox @ Oct 19 2007, 03:59 PM) *
Thank you for the suggestion.

I have downloaded and installed version 1.3.2 and 1.5.2,
but neither have USB and Network support working!!!

How could I make those work?

Launch Virtual Box and go into the settings for the WinBuilder machine and enable them. Be sure to also create your Virtual network adapter and haev it connect to the Host.

Posted by: phox Oct 19 2007, 08:39 PM

QUOTE (powaking @ Oct 19 2007, 03:42 PM) *
Launch Virtual Box and go into the settings for the WinBuilder machine and enable them.
Be sure to also create your Virtual network adapter and have it connect to the Host.

Thank you.

I have managed to start USB support, but not Networking.
The explanation from the Help is not really helping.

How I could create Virtual network adapter and connect it to the Host?
My host system is Vista Ultimate and VirtualBox has some problems with it.

Kind regards.

Posted by: phox Oct 20 2007, 09:46 AM

QUOTE (powaking @ Oct 19 2007, 03:42 PM) *
Be sure to also create your Virtual network adapter
and have it connect to the Host.

According to the VirtualBox manual, to enable network support for VistaPE,
Guest Additions should be installed in the Guest machine:

4.2.1.1. Mounting the Additions ISO file
In the "Devices" menu in the virtual machine's menu bar, VirtualBox has a handy menu item named "Install guest additions", which will automatically bring up the Additions in your VM window.

This is not working!!!

If you prefer to mount the additions manually, you can perform the following steps:
1. Start the virtual machine where you have installed a Windows guest operating system.
2. Select "Mount CD/DVD-ROM" from the "Devices" menu in the virtual machine's menu bar and then "CD/DVD-ROM image". This brings up the Virtual Disk Manager described in Section 3.5, “The Virtual Disk Manager”.
3. In the Virtual Disk Manager, press the "Add" button and browse your host file system for the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso file:
• On a Windows host, you can find this file in the VirtualBox installation directory (usually under C:\Program files\innotek VirtualBox).
• On a Linux host, you can find this file in the additions folder under where you installed VirtualBox (normally /opt/VirtualBox-1.5.2).
4. Back in the Virtual Disk Manager, select that ISO file and press the "Select" button. This will mount the ISO file and present it to your Windows guest as a CD-ROM.

This also is not working!!!

Could you help me how to do it?

My host system is Vista Ultimate (on C partition),
with installed VirtualBox 1.5.2
and I am trying to test networking in VistaPE!

Thank you.

Posted by: powaking Oct 21 2007, 02:37 AM

QUOTE (phox @ Oct 20 2007, 09:46 AM) *
According to the VirtualBox manual, to enable network support for VistaPE,
Guest Additions should be installed in the Guest machine:

4.2.1.1. Mounting the Additions ISO file
In the "Devices" menu in the virtual machine's menu bar, VirtualBox has a handy menu item named "Install guest additions", which will automatically bring up the Additions in your VM window.

This is not working!!!

If you prefer to mount the additions manually, you can perform the following steps:
1. Start the virtual machine where you have installed a Windows guest operating system.
2. Select "Mount CD/DVD-ROM" from the "Devices" menu in the virtual machine's menu bar and then "CD/DVD-ROM image". This brings up the Virtual Disk Manager described in Section 3.5, “The Virtual Disk Manager”.
3. In the Virtual Disk Manager, press the "Add" button and browse your host file system for the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso file:
• On a Windows host, you can find this file in the VirtualBox installation directory (usually under C:\Program files\innotek VirtualBox).
• On a Linux host, you can find this file in the additions folder under where you installed VirtualBox (normally /opt/VirtualBox-1.5.2).
4. Back in the Virtual Disk Manager, select that ISO file and press the "Select" button. This will mount the ISO file and present it to your Windows guest as a CD-ROM.

This also is not working!!!

Could you help me how to do it?

My host system is Vista Ultimate (on C partition),
with installed VirtualBox 1.5.2
and I am trying to test networking in VistaPE!

Thank you.

Bring up VirtualBox. Make sure the WinBuilder machine is highlighted and select Settings.
Go to Network
Make sure its enabled.
Attached to: Host (I find Host works best)
Down in the bottom for Host Interfaces click on the green + button on the right. At this point you should see Windows install a virtual adapter. Keep the default name and make sure this name is listed in the Interface Name field above.

Now you should have networking working VistaPE. I've also went ahead and added the drivers from the Programs Folder into the Drivers plugin (just to be sure).

Hope this helps.

Posted by: phox Oct 21 2007, 05:08 AM

QUOTE (powaking @ Oct 21 2007, 01:37 AM) *
Bring up VirtualBox. Make sure the WinBuilder machine is highlighted and select Settings.
Go to Network
Make sure its enabled.
Down in the bottom for Host Interfaces click on the green + button on the right. At this point you should see Windows install a virtual adapter. Keep the default name and make sure this name is listed in the Interface Name field above.

Now you should have networking working VistaPE. I've also went ahead and added the drivers from the Programs Folder into the Drivers plugin (just to be sure).

Hope this helps.

Before I went into this adventure what is your opinion about this:

"Warning
Setting up Host Interface Networking requires changes to your host's network configuration, which will cause the host to lose its network connection. Do not change network settings on remote or production systems unless you know what you are doing.

4.2.4. Windows Vista networking
Windows Vista no longer ships a driver for the AMD PCnet Ethernet card which is what VirtualBox provides to the guest. As a result, after installation, Vista guests initially have no networking. With Windows Vista guests, you will have to install a driver for this card manually. For this reason, VirtualBox ships with such a driver, which, for simplicity, we have added to the Guest Additions ISO.
To install this driver, mount the Guest Additions ISO (as described above, select "Install guest additions" from the "Devices" menu). Then, start the Windows Hardware Wizard and direct it to the Guest Additions CD where a driver for the PCnet card can be found in the directory AMD_PCnet."

My host is Vista Ultimate and guest VistaPE. I didn’t manage to install Guest Additions
as described in manual. I found the way to do it, but after installation guest system ask for
restart, which brings me to the error message that it is not possible. In addition, it is not
comfortable to go thru this procedure every time you start guest.

Thank you for your kind help.

Posted by: allanf Oct 21 2007, 06:11 AM

sorry... I deleted my post. It was way off topic, and not very helpful.
allanf

Posted by: phox Oct 21 2007, 06:15 AM

QUOTE (powaking @ Oct 21 2007, 01:37 AM) *
Go to Network
Make sure its enabled.

Hope this helps.

I have done as instructed for NAT and Host Interface and in both cases, the result is:

What you think under: I've also went ahead and added the drivers
from the Programs Folder into the Drivers plugin (just to be sure).?

Posted by: online Oct 21 2007, 11:14 AM

"Auto" selection in "Main Configuration > System Locale" doesn't work.

It seems that related piece of script is missing...

Posted by: powaking Oct 22 2007, 01:39 PM

QUOTE (phox @ Oct 21 2007, 06:15 AM) *
I have done as instructed for NAT and Host Interface and in both cases, the result is:

What you think under: I've also went ahead and added the drivers
from the Programs Folder into the Drivers plugin (just to be sure).?

Um did you make sure that Cable Connected is checked off? Remember the Host Interface listed in Host Interfaces need to match in the Interface name. Networking works for me, wininit might take a little longer than usual but it does work. Just need to play around with your settings. Also in Windows check your network connections you should see one listed as VirtualBox TAP Adapter.

Posted by: phox Oct 22 2007, 04:18 PM

QUOTE (powaking @ Oct 22 2007, 12:39 PM) *
Um did you make sure that Cable Connected is checked off? Remember the Host Interface listed in Host Interfaces need to match in the Interface name. Networking works for me, wininit might take a little longer than usual but it does work. Just need to play around with your settings. Also in Windows check your network connections you should see one listed as VirtualBox TAP Adapter.

I have done all I found in manual and what you suggested, but no go!
It must be problem of Vista host and VistaPE guest.

What host OS have you? Does VistaPE works OK?

I have also installed VMware Player and networking in it works OK!

I could not find VirtualBox TAP Adapter in my network connections,
but only two VMware adapters.

Posted by: powaking Oct 22 2007, 04:30 PM

QUOTE (phox @ Oct 22 2007, 04:18 PM) *
I have done all I found in manual and what you suggested, but no go!
It must be problem of Vista host and VistaPE guest.

What host OS have you? Does VistaPE works OK?

I have also installed VMware Player and networking in it works OK!

I could not find VirtualBox TAP Adapter in my network connections,
but only two VMware adapters.

Vista Enterprise, Vista Ultimate and XP pro. The fact you don't see VirtualBox TAP Adapter is the reason. Try removing the virtual adapter from VirtualBox and readding it. Windows should see it and prompt you to install unsigned drivers. Do so and report your findings.

Posted by: phox Oct 22 2007, 04:48 PM

QUOTE (powaking @ Oct 22 2007, 03:30 PM) *
Vista Enterprise, Vista Ultimate and XP pro. The fact you don't see VirtualBox TAP Adapter is the reason. Try removing the virtual adapter from VirtualBox and readding it. Windows should see it and prompt you to install unsigned drivers. Do so and report your findings.

Done!

"VirtualBox Host Interface 1" installed without warning
for unsigned drivers and no VirtualBox TAP Adapter!?

Posted by: powaking Oct 22 2007, 04:51 PM

QUOTE (phox @ Oct 22 2007, 04:48 PM) *
Done!

"VirtualBox Host Interface 1" installed without warning
for unsigned drivers and no VirtualBox TAP Adapter!?

Thats what you're looking for. Now it should be working. I always added the virtualbox nic and usb drivers from the get go so don't know if it will not work without it but worth a try.

Posted by: phox Oct 22 2007, 09:21 PM

QUOTE (powaking @ Oct 22 2007, 03:51 PM) *
Thats what you're looking for. Now it should be working. I always added the virtualbox nic and usb drivers from the get go so don't know if it will not work without it but worth a try.

No, it is not working!

I have VirtualBox without network support
and VMware Player without USB support.

It means that I must test every build at least two times!

Posted by: powaking Oct 23 2007, 02:19 AM

QUOTE (phox @ Oct 22 2007, 09:21 PM) *
No, it is not working!

I have VirtualBox without network support
and VMware Player without USB support.

It means that I must test every build at least two times!

Try manually installing the drivers from here: C:\program files\innotek VirtualBox\drivers

Also add them to the Driver plugin. Not sure why its not working for you. Can you send screen shots of the network tab in VirtualBox.

Posted by: phox Oct 23 2007, 04:43 AM

QUOTE (powaking @ Oct 23 2007, 01:19 AM) *
Try manually installing the drivers from here: C:\program files\innotek VirtualBox\drivers

Done, but the answer is:

Also add them to the Driver plugin.

What you mean by this? How to do it?

I manually extracted VBoxGuestAdditions.iso and
attempted manual installation of missing AMD_PCnet
driver but the answer was the same as above.

I then installed VBoxGuestAdditions on host Vista,
but AMD_PCnet driver (PCNTPCI5.sys) was nowhere
to be seen.

From VirtualBox FAQ I found again:

"There is no networking in Windows Vista guests initially because, unfortunately, with Vista, Microsoft dropped driver support for the virtual AMD PCnet card that we are providing. See "Troubleshooting" -> "Windows guests" in the User Manual for a solution. The VirtualBox Guest Additions contain the AMD PCnet driver.",

but I have tried that before and it is not working!

I even have done additional suggested correction:

"Windows Vista hosts might show an error about a COM server not being accessible. This is a problem of our installation routine which we have not figured out yet. To fix the problem, open a command prompt shell and enter:
• cd \Programs\InnoTek VirtualBox
• VBoxSVC.exe /ReRegServer
• regsvr32.exe VBoxC.dll",

but it did not help!

Lot of problems, but the final product is worth all of troubles:

Posted by: allanf Oct 23 2007, 05:48 AM

QUOTE (phox @ Oct 23 2007, 02:43 PM) *
... Also add them to the Driver plugin.

What you mean by this? How to do it?

Perhaps powaking means installing the driver in VistaPE using ctv99's Driver Installer. I don't know.

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=1252

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?act=Print&client=printer&f=51&t=1005

BTW. This topic is getting a little bit frustrating for the reader. How are you coping? smile.gif

Posted by: allanf Oct 23 2007, 06:31 AM

QUOTE (online @ Oct 21 2007, 09:14 PM) *
"Auto" selection in "Main Configuration > System Locale" doesn't work.

It seems that related piece of script is missing...

Hi online,

VistaPE copies the registry files from the Boot Source - either "boot.wim" from a Vista DVD, or "winpe.wim" from Windows AIK. I don't know if these Boot Sources (which are basically WinPE 2.0), have localized versions, or just en-US?? When "Auto" is selected, there are no refinements or modifications to the Locale settings in the registry.

From what I can see, the XP-Based Projects transfer Locale settings directly from the Host Computer's registry when "Auto" is selected.

I am not sure if this can be done with VistaPE, particularly when the Host Computer's OS is non-Vista or non-Windows. Perhaps this is the reason for the "Locale" script, and the only (or best) solution may be to create more Locale supplements to be added to the "Locale" script.

Posted by: booty#1 Oct 23 2007, 08:23 AM

QUOTE (powaking @ Oct 22 2007, 03:39 PM) *

Even if your discussion about VistaPE in VirtualBox is interesting - I think it it time to extract this desicussion into it's own thread.

booty#1

Posted by: powaking Oct 23 2007, 12:37 PM

QUOTE (phox @ Oct 23 2007, 04:43 AM) *

The Cable Connected check box is not ticked. Check that off.
QUOTE (allanf date= @ Oct 23 2007)
Perhaps powaking means installing the driver in VistaPE using ctv99's Driver Installer. I don't know.

Driver.rar

Boot Land _ VistaPE _ Driver Installer For VistaPE

Yes this is what I was referring to.

I agree, any more regarding this needs its own thread, primarily regarding networking in VirtualBox.

Posted by: phox Oct 23 2007, 02:05 PM

QUOTE (powaking @ Oct 23 2007, 11:37 AM) *
The Cable Connected check box is not ticked. Check that off.

Done: no help!
Yes this is what I was referring to.

No help!
I agree, any more regarding this needs its own thread,
primarily regarding networking in VirtualBox.

I fully agree. I newer thought that networking in VirtualBox
is so complicated or I am so stupid.

Thank very much!

Posted by: darren rose Oct 23 2007, 02:14 PM

QUOTE (phox @ Oct 23 2007, 03:05 PM) *
Done: no help!

No help!

I fully agree. I newer thought that networking in VirtualBox
is so complicated or I am so stupid.

Thank very much!

why not just use virtual PC, its free and vista pe 010 works fine with it without having to fiddle about adding any additional drivers etc!

Posted by: JonF Oct 23 2007, 08:33 PM

QUOTE (darren rose @ Oct 23 2007, 10:14 AM) *
why not just use virtual PC, its free and vista pe 010 works fine with it without having to fiddle about adding any additional drivers etc!

Doesn't do USB.

Posted by: darren rose Oct 23 2007, 08:36 PM

QUOTE (JonF @ Oct 23 2007, 09:33 PM) *
Doesn't do USB.

apologies, didn't notice any mention of needing usb, just thought it was networking that was problem

Posted by: online Oct 24 2007, 06:36 PM

QUOTE (allanf @ Oct 23 2007, 09:31 AM) *
I don't know if these Boot Sources (which are basically WinPE 2.0), have localized versions, or just en-US??

Hi, allanf!
If source is Vista Installation DVD I think that it has localized versions (I own an english/US DVD).
Yes, "Auto" selection catches Locale settings just from that localization... and keyboard layout too. wink.gif

Then, if somebody wish both a different format and/or a different keyboard layout compared to his (assumed) Vista installation DVD language he must not select "Auto" option and maybe just to create himself a suitable script for that function. smile.gif

From what I can see, the XP-Based Projects transfer Locale settings directly from the Host Computer's registry when "Auto" is selected.

In VistaPE seems to me that the job is just different (just like we said above).

Perhaps this is the reason for the "Locale" script, and the only (or best) solution may be to create more Locale supplements to be added to the "Locale" script.

I totally agree. cheers.gif

Posted by: psc Oct 24 2007, 06:43 PM

Perhaps this is the reason for the "Locale" script, and the only (or best) solution may be to create more Locale supplements to be added to the "Locale" script.

Maybe some VistaPE developers look into nativeEx and find out why I 'invented' this idea!

Peter

Posted by: allanf Oct 25 2007, 03:36 AM

... woops! Double post! See below!

Posted by: allanf Oct 25 2007, 03:39 AM

@online,

Regarding your work: http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=3296&view=findpost&p=23640
"Tremendous!" thumbup.gif

@all

QUOTE (online @ Oct 25 2007, 04:36 AM) *
If source is Vista Installation DVD I think that it has localized versions (I own an english/US DVD).
Yes, "Auto" selection catches Locale settings just from that localization... and keyboard layout too. wink.gif

Then, if somebody wish both a different format and/or a different keyboard layout compared to his (assumed) Vista installation DVD language he must not select "Auto" option and maybe just to create himself a suitable script for that function. smile.gif

OK! To summarise the matter of the new "VistaPE-Beta: locale.script (Locale)", please correct or assist. smile.gif

1. Firstly we refer to the Boot Source (WinPE 2.0 => "boot.wim" from Vista DVD, or "winpe.wim" from Windows AIK), because this is the basis for the VistaPE registry as can be seen in the copying of registry files by "Build: Standard-1-files.script (1 - Copy Files)".

CODE
FileCopy,"%BootSRC%\Windows\System32\config\default","%TargetDir%\Windows\System32\config\default"
FileCopy,"%BootSRC%\Windows\System32\config\software","%TargetDir%\Windows\System32\config\software"
FileCopy,"%BootSRC%\Windows\System32\config\system","%TargetDir%\Windows\System32\config\system"

Install Source is the Vista OS Installation ("install.wim"), and, of course, is localized; but is found only when a Vista DVD is available... not when using WAIK.

2. So, the question is: 'Does the Boot-Source registry provide Language and Locale settings for the comfortable use of VistaPE?' Or, 'What is the extent of localization, if any, in the Boot Source?'

It appears that some Language is detectable in the Boot Source, as can be seen in "Build: Standard-0-preconfig.script (0 - PreConfig)"

CODE
[DetectLang]
Echo,"Detecting source language..."
If,ExistFile,"%BootSRC%\Windows\System32\en-US\bcdedit.exe.mui",Set,"%DistLang%","en-US"
If,ExistFile,"%BootSRC%\Windows\System32\ar-SA\bcdedit.exe.mui",Set,"%DistLang%","ar-SA"
If,ExistFile,"%BootSRC%\Windows\System32\bg-BG\bcdedit.exe.mui",Set,"%DistLang%","bg-BG"

In "Build: Standard-1-files.script (1 - Copy Files)", the "%DistLang%" Variable is used to copy many localized files from the Boot-Source Directories: "...\windows\%DistLang%", "...\windows\system32\%DistLang%", "...\windows\system32\drivers\%DistLang%", etc. However, observe the following:

CODE
[FileCopyStandard]
Echo,"Processing standard file copy..."
run,%ScriptFile%,LanPack
If,"%DistLang%",NotEqual,"en-US",run,%ScriptFile%,LanPackUS
[LanPackUS]
Set,"%DistLang%","en-US"
run,%ScriptFile%,LanPack

So, en-US is also included alongside the principle Language (as determined by the name of the folder containing the "bcdedit.exe.mui" file.)

(In other Scripts, the "%DistLang%" Variable is used exclusively (AFAIK) to copy localized files from the Install Source.)

3. So, the next question: 'Are the Boot-Source registry settings and localized files sufficient? If so, why the need for the "Locale" Script?

Firstly, they are not sufficient when using LiteStep Shell with Austerity theme. Refer to http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=3296&view=findpost&p=23640.

In other cases, I am not sure.

Obviously (to me), if the Boot Source is suficient in one Locale/Language, but that Boot Source is being used in a different Locale/Language, then there is a need for the registry settings to be changed, as is performed by selecting a Locale in the "Locale" Script.

What about the localized files copied from the Boot Source to VistaPE? No files are changed by the "Locale" script. The only file copied from the Boot Source by each and every Locale Supplement in the "Locale" Script is the "%BootSRC%\Windows\System32\KBD[??].dll". (Some Supplements copy fonts and other files, but the "Locale" Script is mainly used to modify VistaPE's registry.)

In "Build: Standard-1-files.script (1 - Copy Files)", we find:

CODE
[process]
If,"%DistLang%",NotEqual,"en-US",run,%ScriptFile%,CopyNLS
[CopyNLS]
If,"%DistLang%",NotEqual,"ru-RU",FileCopy,"%BootSRC%\Windows\System32\*.nls","%TargetDir%\Windows\System32"
If,"%DistLang%",NotEqual,"ru-RU",FileCopy,"%BootSRC%\Windows\System32\kbd*.dll","%TargetDir%\Windows\System32"

So, if the principle Language is neither en-US nor ru-RU, every "*.nls" and "kbd*.dll" file is copied anyway. The ability to change Locale settings with the "Locale" Script is important when the principle Language of the Boot Source is either en-US or ru-RU.

4. Finally, I have found for reference from Technet, some articles regarding Language/Locale in Vista.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/e038f1d7-fc2f-4de5-83d9-4655770497bb1033.mspx?pf=true

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/2d7ae7cb-2054-452d-a669-e766782701851033.mspx?pf=true, ... requires an xml answer file.

... and Problem #1: To download extractable Language Packs: http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/99609816/m/855006884831 (from episteme.arstechnica.com)

... just some thoughts.

online, again, "Well done! ... with the Austerity stuff."

Posted by: online Oct 25 2007, 11:34 AM

QUOTE (allanf @ Oct 25 2007, 06:39 AM) *
@online,

Regarding your work: http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=3296&view=findpost&p=23640
"Tremendous!" thumbup.gif

. . .

online, again, "Well done! ... with the Austerity stuff."

Thank you sooo much, allanf!
Really I'm very glad that you liked it! smile.gif

Btw1: If you knew my fights against both "RegDelete" and "If,,NotEqual" statements [that seems to me don't work always like they would must (but I'll indicate these issues elsewhere...)] maybe you would do so > rolleyes.gif hyper.gif roll1.gif

thumbup.gif

Btw2: about your other thoughts at this moment I would not know to say much, maybe authors could say much more... cheers.gif

Posted by: online Oct 25 2007, 04:23 PM

QUOTE (allanf @ Oct 25 2007, 06:39 AM) *
Install Source is the Vista OS Installation ("install.wim"), and, of course, is localized

In my opinion we (me) need to clarify about Locale settings and Format settings: my Vista English/US DVD is surely localized about Installation GUI (that is just in English), but really during OS installation the user has 3 options (that he can combine about his preferences):

1. Language to install;
2. Time and currency format;
3. Keyboard or input method.

This means that really Vista is at least in this a bit different compared to previous MS Oses and that the installation DVD contains every Display languages: then the user can choose before which to install [typically (for reasons too long to describe) my Vista installation is in English (Display Language) - System Locale US - Country Region (Location) US - Keyboard Layout Italian].

After installation with some version of Vista (Ultimate, for example) the user can download other Language User Interfaces [Display Languages (that do not affect System Locale or other)] and install them and switch between them.

In order to not mistake between different denominations and hoping it is a few useful I copy&paste from Vista Help files:

smile.gif

CODE
* Change the system locale

The system locale is the language that is used to display the text in menus and dialog boxes for programs that do not use Unicode. You might need to change the default system locale when you install additional display languages on your computer. Selecting a different language for the system locale does not affect the language in menus and dialog boxes for Windows or other programs that do use Unicode.

* Change the country or region setting

The country or region setting in Windows, referred to as location, indicates the country or region that you are in. Some software programs and services provide you with local information, such as news and weather, based on this setting.

Click to open Regional and Language Options.

Click the Location tab, select your location from the list, and then click OK.

* Change the display of dates, times, currency, and measurements

You can change the format Windows uses to display dates, times, currency, and measurements. You can also change the sorting order of text to match sorting rules used in a specific country or region.

Click the Formats tab, and then, in the Current format list, select the locale to use for the display of the date, time, currency, and measurements.

You can see how these items will appear in the area below the list.

To customize how the date, time, currency, and measurements are displayed, click Customize this format, and then do one of the following:

To change the way your computer displays numbers, click the Numbers tab. Items you might want to change based on the format language you chose are the decimal symbol and list separator, the format used for negative numbers and leading zeros, and the measurement system used (U.S. or metric).

To change the way your computer displays currency values, click the Currency tab. Items you might want to change based on the format language you chose are the currency symbol, the formats used for positive or negative amounts, and the punctuation used to separate numbers.

To change the way your computer displays the time, click the Time tab. For more information about setting the clock, see Set the clock.

To change the way your computer displays the date, click the Date tab.

* Change your input language

The input language is a setting in Windows that controls the language you use to type information on your computer. Before you can change an input language, you need to add that language to Windows. For more information, see Add an input language.

To change the input language
Click the Input language button on the Language bar, and then click the input language you want to use.

* Change your keyboard layout

You can customize your keyboard for a specific language or format by changing the keyboard layout. The layout controls which characters appear on the screen when you press the keys on your keyboard. Some input languages have several keyboard layouts; others have only one. For example, you can change your keyboard layout from the English QWERTY format to the English Dvorak format. After you change the layout, the characters on your screen might not correspond to the characters on your keyboard keys.

Before you can change the keyboard layout, you must add the input language and keyboard layout that you want to use to Windows. For more information, see Add an input language.

To change the keyboard layout
On the Language bar, click the Input language button, and then select an input language.

* Change the display language

The display language is the language that Windows uses in wizards, dialog boxes, menus, and other items in the user interface. Some display languages are installed by default, and others require you to install additional language files.

Click the Keyboards and Languages tab.

Under Display language, choose a language from the list, and then click OK.

Note
If you don't see the list of display languages, you need to install additional language files first. For more information, see Install a display language.

Posted by: allanf Oct 26 2007, 01:42 AM

@online,

Thank you for the info! It is much more than I know. I am a little bit blind with Vista because my Vista DVD is an expired RC1 version obtained directly from Redmond and strictly en-US only (AFAIK). My interest in Language/Locale settings in Vista is not so much from need, but from the efforts you have made and the wonderful diversity of nationalities in the Boot-Land Community. I am sure that other members have much more understanding of the issues than I; especially in cases where "necessity is the mother of invention"... necessity for other Languages/Locales in VistaPE.

QUOTE (online @ Oct 26 2007, 02:23 AM) *
In my opinion we (me) need to clarify about Locale settings and Format settings: my Vista English/US DVD is surely localized about Installation GUI (that is just in English)...

Um... I think we possibly have opposiing interpretations of the word "localized"... to me it means "not just in English" but also (or only) in the local Language/Locale where the product was purchased.
Not to worry ... chair.gif .... rofl.gif !
... about Installation GUI (that is just in English)... The Installation GUI is WinPE 2.0 loaded from "[Vista DVD]\sources\boot.wim". The Installation GUI is in fact VistaPE's Boot Source, which lays the entire foundation for the VistaPE - it's initial registry and files! And I really was wondering whether or not this Installation GUI is available in other Languages/Locales.

... but really during OS installation the user has 3 options (that he can combine about his preferences):

1. Language to install;
2. Time and currency format;
3. Keyboard or input method.

It has been a while since I have installed Vista OS. However, I am fairly certain that my beta version did not have Option #1.

And I really was wondering this also... Do final-release versions have a directory called LangPacks (in the root of the Vista DVD, I guess)? And, if so, how many LangPacks are inside that directory? ... just a single LangPack for the Language/Locale where the product was purchased (i. e. "localized" ... vava.gif ), or every available LangPack?

... The questions may be purely "academic" (i. e. not really practicable, even for testing), because my idea was to experimentally try to convert my VisatPE to Chinese (zh-CN), for example, by writing a pre-preconfig .script to do the following (or something like it):
1. Mount my "boot.wim" image to the "%BootSrc%' directory
2. Download the new LangPack .exe
3. Extract the "lp.cab"
4. Expand and copy the CAB file to the mounted "boot.wim" image... this may never have been possible?
(4a? Perform some Locale/Language configurations on the mounted image using the "intlcfg.exe", which is provided with WAIK)
5. ... run the standard copyfiles .script with "bcdedit.exe.mui" located in the "%BootSrc%\Windows\System32\zh-CN" directory.

My idea kinda fell apart when I saw the size of the LangPack .exe files from WindowsUpdates... ranging in size from around 150MB to 250MB.

Furthermore, the info which you have kindly provided, seems to indicate that the LangPack-download option may be an unnecessary and cumbersome way to convert my VistaPE to Chinese (BTW; I don't read Chinese, but I think that it would be the ultimate test).

It may be possible to install the desired LangPack to the mounted "install.wim" image (the Install Source), and copy the files and registry settings from there. But, which files and registry settings? The XP-Project scripts, which you have referred to elsewhere, may provide some of the answers. Unfortunately, my lack of LangPacks, and my monthly Download Limit prevents me from experimenting with this. I have also read that the installation of LangPacks is extremely time consuming... perhaps far too time consuming to be attempted by Winbuilder Script.

In order to not mistake between different denominations and hoping it is a few useful I copy&paste from Vista Help files:

That information is initially extremely confusing, but, in the end extremely useful!

Thank you. thumbup.gif

Posted by: allanf Oct 26 2007, 03:09 AM

A different topic regarding v.010...

@Nightman

Firstly, Thank you for everything!

RE: "Debug: unmount.script (Unmount WIM Files)"

... a typo

CODE
[Process]
ReagENV

Posted by: online Oct 26 2007, 05:16 AM

QUOTE (allanf @ Oct 26 2007, 04:42 AM) *
Um... I think we possibly have opposiing interpretations of the word "localized"... to me it means "not just in English" but also (or only) in the local Language/Locale where the product was purchased.
Not to worry ... chair.gif .... rofl.gif !
... about Installation GUI (that is just in English)...

In fact that was my suspect! wink.gif

Really I meant that Graphical User Interface (GUI) was in English (maybe the word "just" was redundant?!)... and at bottom it changes only a bit compared to user's native language just because of then he can install Vista in any Display Language... smile.gif

I agree that the installation GUI typically is like the Country/Location where the DVD was purchased, and also I think that is just that language is recognized like Default Display Language, you agree?

Furthermore Vista DVD contains every Vista version inside, and you can install anyone depending on your own Product Key...

Posted by: online Oct 26 2007, 05:47 AM

QUOTE (allanf @ Oct 26 2007, 04:42 AM) *
My interest in Language/Locale settings in Vista is not so much from need, but from the efforts you have made and the wonderful diversity of nationalities in the Boot-Land Community. I am sure that other members have much more understanding of the issues than I; especially in cases where "necessity is the mother of invention"... necessity for other Languages/Locales in VistaPE.

I understood, but I am not completely agreed...

If you use LiteStep Austerity Shell Default (US) and your host machine Format is "English (Australia)" then only the time (that is the same format both for Australia and US) will be shown right, but not the date.

In fact the date will be as [Sat. Sep. 1] that is wrong compared to your real Format: the right display would be [Sat. 1 Sep.].

Furthermore "English (Australia) ShortDate" is [1/09/2007], but "en-US ShortDate" is [9/1/2007].

However, if you don't use my "http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3296&view=findpost&p=23640" then your Date will be displayed wrong at any case... smile.gif

Posted by: allanf Oct 26 2007, 06:23 AM

QUOTE (online @ Oct 26 2007, 03:16 PM) *
I agree that the installation GUI typically is like the Country/Location where the DVD was purchased, and also I think that is jusy that language is recognized like Default Display Language, you agree?

Yes. I should have assumed that was the case. How could it be otherwise? Sorry. I have the disadvantage of having no other language than English.

Furthermore Vista DVD contains every Vista version inside, and you can install anyone depending on your own Product Key...

Yes. In VistaPE, "Build: Standard-0-preconfig.script" mounts the Image #1 from the "install.wim".

CODE

[MountVista-imagex]
Echo,"Mounting Windows Vista files with imagex.exe..."
ShellExecute,Hide,"#$q%IMAGEX%#$q","/mount #$q%SDIR%\sources\boot.wim#$q 2 #$q%BootSRC%#$q"
ShellExecute,Hide,"#$q%IMAGEX%#$q","/mount #$q%SDIR%\sources\install.wim#$q 1 #$q%InstallSRC%#$q"

[MountVista-wimutil]
Echo,"Mounting Windows Vista files with wimutil.exe..."
ShellExecute,Hide,"#$q%tools%\wimutil.exe#$q","mount #$q%SDIR%\sources\boot.wim#$q #$q%BootSRC%#$q /2"
ShellExecute,Hide,"#$q%tools%\wimutil.exe#$q","mount #$q%SDIR%\sources\install.wim#$q #$q%InstallSRC%#$q"

In my case the Image #1 is Vista Business.

All scripts that reference "%InstallSRC%" take files, etc from this Image.

Posted by: online Oct 26 2007, 12:10 PM

QUOTE (allanf @ Oct 26 2007, 09:23 AM) *
I should have assumed that was the case. How could it be otherwise?

I think that maybe there may be a further misunderstanding...

When I said "Installation GUI" I was referring to GUI that works during Vista installation and not to OS Display Language (that we have seen can be any other language).

If this is clear then we are saying the same thing! cheers.gif

Posted by: NightMan Oct 26 2007, 01:14 PM

RE: "Debug: unmount.script (Unmount WIM Files)"

Thanks!

If you use LiteStep Austerity Shell Default (US) and your host machine Format is "English (Australia)" then only the time (that is the same format both for Australia and US) will be shown right, but not the date.

i upload new version of litestep script few days ago, now it's normal for all? smile.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALL
New drivers was uploaded smile.gif Network in VirtualBox tested and it's work smile.gif

ps i plan make final version at 01.11.2007...

Posted by: phox Oct 26 2007, 01:53 PM

QUOTE (NightMan @ Oct 26 2007, 12:14 PM) *
New drivers was uploaded smile.gif Network in VirtualBox tested and it's work smile.gif

Where? I don't see it in Download!

Posted by: allanf Oct 26 2007, 01:53 PM

QUOTE (online @ Oct 26 2007, 10:10 PM) *
I think that maybe there may be a further misunderstanding...

When I said "Installation GUI" I was referring to GUI that works during Vista installation and not to OS Display Language (that we have seen can be any other language).

If this is clear then we are saying the same thing! cheers.gif

Yes! We are saying the same thing now. I now understand that the Installation GUI must be understandable by the Vista Installer, wherever the Installer lives, and whatever language the Installer speaks.

Posted by: online Oct 26 2007, 05:29 PM

Hi! cool.gif

i upload new version of litestep script few days agou, now it's normal for all?

Really and truly? smile.gif

Really I checked every day rolleyes.gif ... and even now you can see the "old" one...

Posted by: NightMan Oct 27 2007, 12:11 AM

Where? I don't see it in Download!

Do you check "download center" in WinBuilder? Now we have 2 separate files for SATA/SCSI and for LAN drivers... and delete old drivers.script file smile.gif

Really and truly?

hm... code from 17.10:
CODE
TimeLblText                 "[time('i:nn')]"
DateLblText                 "[date('d mmm. yyyy')]"
TimeLblOnMouseEnter        !TimeLblSetText "[uptime('d')]d [uptime('h')]:[uptime('nn')]:[uptime('ss')]"
TimeLblOnMouseLeave        !TimeLblSetText "[time('h:nn')] [lowerCase(time('am/pm'))]"

i think that it's better variant for all languages smile.gif

Posted by: allanf Oct 27 2007, 12:13 AM

QUOTE (online @ Oct 27 2007, 03:29 AM) *
Hi! cool.gif

Really and truly? smile.gif

Really I checked every day rolleyes.gif ... and even now you can see the "old" one...

The difference is in the encoded archive, "LiteStep.7z". Unfortunately, I over-wrote the older version on my computer ... sad.gif ..., and cannot compare the old with the new with "windiff.exe".

If you wish to compare: Before downloading - In Winbuilder, go to "Edit" Script => "Attachments" => "Extract" the archive. Then make a backup of the older Script (I'm sure you do this anyway! smile.gif ). Then download from Download Center.

BTW, I thought that the Download Center would indicate new Scripts by causing a tick (mark) in the Checkbox next to the Script's name. This didn't seem to occur. I tested the MD5 of both Scripts (... before over-writing the older one). They were different.

Posted by: phox Oct 27 2007, 04:24 AM

QUOTE (NightMan @ Oct 26 2007, 11:11 PM) *
Do you check "download center" in WinBuilder?
Now we have 2 separate files for SATA/SCSI and for LAN drivers...

I assume that VirtualBox network support
is included in drivers-lan.script.

VirtualBox support is necessary only for testing
and it's better to have it in separate script.

Posted by: online Oct 27 2007, 01:49 PM

QUOTE (NightMan @ Oct 27 2007, 03:11 AM) *
hm... code from 17.10:
CODE
TimeLblText                 "[time('i:nn')]"
DateLblText                 "[date('d mmm. yyyy')]"
TimeLblOnMouseEnter        !TimeLblSetText "[uptime('d')]d [uptime('h')]:[uptime('nn')]:[uptime('ss')]"
TimeLblOnMouseLeave        !TimeLblSetText "[time('h:nn')] [lowerCase(time('am/pm'))]"

i think that it's better variant for all languages smile.gif

I am sorry to tell you, but you are wrong... smile.gif

In my small way and in my humble opinion your pre-editing of "system_time.rc" file is a static setting that is not at all an appropriate way because of it does not take account of International users needs.

Also I think that probably you have not carefully read my threads and/or my argumentations about this issue, otherwise maybe you would not have proposed your "system_time.rc" file pre-editing (please, read http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3296&view=findpost&p=23803 too)...

In fact your pre-editing can work only under some formats, and it cannot work properly under any other existing format.

Then, with your pre-editing of "system_time.rc" file every Date format that is different compared to your [Day-Month-Year] pre-editing will be shown wrong.

And every Time format that must be displayed with "AM/PM" feature will be shown wrong too.

Furthermore with "Auto" selection the result is completely unpredictable, then it will be often wrong.

My "http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3296&view=findpost&p=23640" is a dynamic setting instead and it will properly display both Date and Time format under any user Format (even using "Auto" selection).

Then currently my way seems the only way to really solve the issue.

On the other hand if it was so simple I would not have spent so much of both my energy and my time about it... wink.gif

Thank you (ALL) so very much for your attention... cheers.gif