> PXE Boot Server by KeiraM
bilou_gateux
post Aug 13 2007, 04:33 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Advanced user
Member No.: 97

France

To answer a request from a 911cd.net forums user, KeiraM has created a plugin tu run Tftpd32 on BartPE to PXE Boot a BartPE ISO.

I have then asked him some infos to use it on a real Windows XP Professional and he has changed a few lines of code to make it real Windows compliant.

To give his project more visibility, i've decided to post it here in Tftpd32 subforum.

PXEBoot

Installs a kind of PXE-Boot-Server on BartPE that can serve Bart CDs (or maybe something else) to the network.
Can work as RIS server (files are accessed by the client via network on demand) or serve an ISO-image (is transfered as one big file/Win2k3-SP1 only!)
A little script is included that sets up everything needed.

Some files are needed for this plugin to work: Two from the internet (Junction.exe, TFTPD32.exe), one from another Bart build ('bootsect.bin').
See comments on top of inf-file for details!
Place this plugin as subfolder somewhere in the plugins folder, not deeper! This plugin reaches for mkisofs.exe by "..\..\mkisofs.exe".

Problems:
* Some writeable folder on an NTFS drive is needed (this can be provided by formating the RAMDisk accordingly, e.g. with "format /FS:NTFS"). Only about 1 MB space is needed in this folder for RIS boot.
* Serving an ISO image needs the iso image to be present, of course. MSISofs will be copied with this plugin, but creating the iso-image will need a lot space (on the NTFS folder mentioned above).
* The Bart system that hosts the server *cannot* be served (when the registry hives are read, they appear modified). This can be worked around by copying i386 to e.g. i386pxe prior to image creation. When creating the image with -duplicates-once, no additional space will be occupied by this folder. Then i386pxe can be served.
* On a RIS booted system the network configuration behaves strangely: Network capabilities are present, but it's hard to change settings for NICs. On the other hand, creating a TAP device (with OpenVPN) is still possible.
* ISO booted systems need a lot of RAM...

With this plugin the nice little BINL-Server created by sherpya is shipped, as well as a so-called InfParser that was coded in C and adapted from sherpyas InfParser.py. Sherpyas BINL-Server is GNU-GPL - see sherpyas homepage for the source. My C-InfParser is closed-source freeware. Do with it whatever you want to. BUT THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR NOTHING!!!

And there is NO WARRANTY for the whole plugin.

sorry for my english

All credits goes to KeiraM for his Proficient scripting skills.

Nuno provided some webspace for him, so the current plugin version (as well as some other plugins) can be found here: http://keira.boot-land.net.

In the past Jaclaz already posted a link to this Tftp32 running IN BartPE, Plug-in published
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
« Next Oldest · Tftpd32 · Next Newest »

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No new Topic has attachmentsBootSDI, zCopy and ImageCreator utility
251 Oleg_II 12,294 11th October 2007 - 06:30 AM
Last post by: psc
No New Posts Boot-land.net subdomains, servers, project. Confusion!
4 romsempire 145 9th October 2007 - 07:18 AM
Last post by: romsempire
No New Posts Booting XP/Vista into RAM - have I got this at all right?
Read 100's of posts - looking 4 best ways AND 1 answer
9 yvonne 512 30th September 2007 - 07:11 AM
Last post by: yvonne
No New Posts Boot WinPE from USB (without RAM load)
5 James Skinner 588 27th September 2007 - 03:44 PM
Last post by: MedEvil
No New Posts Booting VISTA PE on XP machine
XP system unaffected?
2 Bernhard 302 26th September 2007 - 12:15 PM
Last post by: Bernhard

Display Mode: Standard · Switch to: Linear+ · Switch to: Outline

Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic · Subscribe to this forum

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th October 2007 - 04:14 AM

MKPortal ©2003-2006 mkportal.it